Monday, June 19, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Asking "Why?"

Last week we were blessed to have our three-year-old grandson, Elias, with us for a few days.  He is very easy to have in our home because he is well behaved and he sleeps well (which really helps this getting-older grandma!).  But I must say, if I had a dollar for every time he asked me “Why?”, I would be a very wealthy woman J

I shared on Facebook a conversation that I had with Eli while he was here.  He was my assistant in the office every morning and on one of the days he was having fun opening and closing a door between 2 of our offices. After awhile I said, "Eli I don't want you to keep closing that door because I can't see your radiant face when you are in the other room."  After a few minutes, he came running up to me and said, “Grandma, can you see my radiant face now?”  Oh yes, I could see his radiant face; up close and personal!
The next day, we were outside getting some batting practice in and he wanted to pitch the ball to me.  After a few wild balls, he tossed it perfectly to me…and I missed it.  So I said to him, “Eli, that was a really good pitch.  It was my fault that I missed it.”  He smiled and we continued.
After awhile, he decided it was time for him to bat so I started throwing the ball to him.  After the first ball that he missed, he looked at me and said, “Grandma, that was a really good pitch.  It was my fault that I missed it.”  That’s when it hit me, once again.  I have a living, breathing tape recorder following me and listening to every word!
Thankfully in those two instances, he repeated positive things that I said.  Unfortunately, I’m sure that isn’t always the case and I’m really confident that it wasn’t always the situation with my own children.  I know I’ve written about this before, but I think it is something that we each need to be reminded of periodically.  You may not have grandchildren following you around, but I guarantee you that there is someone in your life that is watching and listening to how you act and react.  They may be in your home, or at your job, or in your neighborhood or even sitting next to you in the pew at church.  Someone is watching you and the sobering thing is that what he or she sees in you may make the difference whether they spend eternity in heaven or in hell.
Now some of you may think I’m being overly dramatic and blowing this way out of proportion, but I would have to disagree with you.  If you and me are professing Christians and an unsaved person sees us:
         *running others down
         *degrading our spouse
         *being a part of dishonest dealings in our workplace
         *having bursts of anger
         *living in fear of the future
         *being constantly stressed (and I could go on and on),
why would they want to accept Christ?  If our life doesn’t look any different than theirs…what would make them desire to have a personal relationship with our Jesus?
We are living in a mixed up world that seems to be tilting on its axis, so there has never been a more critical time for Christians to be different than the world.  The unsaved need to see that because we are devoted followers of Christ, we treat others with love and understanding.  They need to see that all of our business dealings are above board with no hint at all of dishonesty.  And I think most of all, they need to see that we aren’t living in constant turmoil and fear and as a result, we have a peace that passes all understanding.  If this is how we are living, then when they ask “Why?” we are the way we are…they will be willing to listen to our answer.  That my friend will impact eternity in a very powerful way. 

Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.  Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.
Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people.  Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes—these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God.  You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.”

                                             Ephesians 5:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment