Monday, July 24, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Our Two Objectives

I shared with you last week that I was going to be preaching yesterday at Hope Missionary Church in Bluffton.  What I didn’t share with you was the fact that at that point, I had very little voice.  I had been struggling with a very bad cold and it had left me without much volume and nothing I was doing was getting it to improve.  Knowing that time was of the essence and that by yesterday I needed to be able to preach three times in a row, I resorted to calling my doctor and asking for steroids to see if they would make a difference.  I had been in this situation once before where I had a series of speaking engagements coming up and no voice and steroids had done the trick that time.  So back on the meds I went and friends ramped up their prayers and by yesterday morning, I was able to preach in each service and never even coughed…a true miracle indeed!

What I didn’t know, nor did anyone else have a clue, what would be faced once everyone arrived at church.  If something could go wrong with the technical component of the first service…it did go wrong.  I felt so sorry for our Worship Pastor because he was being hit with one thing after another while having to lead the service, but he handled it like the professional that he is.  He kept his cool and just kept making the necessary changes to keep things rolling.  He told me after our final service that in all of his years of leading, he had never had that many things go wrong in a morning.  In the end, all three services were accomplished and we all have interesting memories of this particular Lord’s Day J

I believe what kept everyone “going with the flow” yesterday was the fact that it WAS the Lord’s Day.  Not ours, not those who came to worship but His day and His day only.  Whatever detours were thrown in our path were just frustrations and I was so impressed with how everyone on the platform, along with everyone working behind the scenes, refused to let anything stop what we were there to do.  We were there to do two things: first to worship the King of Kings and secondly to point those who entered our doors to Jesus. 

We know of course that Satan doesn’t like us doing either one of those objectives.  He never wants us to worship the Lord and he surely doesn’t want us pointing anyone to Jesus.  As a result, it is not out of the ordinary for him to work overtime on Sundays to pull us off track, to get us to lose our focus and to make us want to give up.  When this occurs, we have a choice to make.  We can either let him win or we can make sure he loses and I am confident that in our services yesterday he lost.

I think the thing we all need to remember is that we can also have the same focus Monday through Saturday.  If we go through every day determined to worship the Lord and point those that we meet to Jesus, we can make sure that Satan loses on a daily basis.  But it is a choice that we will have to make each morning as we begin our day.  I have a feeling that if we consciously live with these objectives in mind, we will see God’s power at work in a mighty way Every. Single. Day.

Will we have detours?  Yes.  Will we have frustrations?  Yes.  Will we be tempted at times to give up?  More than likely…Yes.  But as long as we keep our eyes focused on the One who is worthy of our praise, we will always be on the winning team and oh, what a victory that will be!


No comments:

Post a Comment