Monday, August 7, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: When Life Isn't Pretty

I hope you will allow me to be real today. This last week has not been a “pretty” one for me because I struggled physically, mentally and spiritually.  By the time yesterday rolled around, I felt like I had failed as a wife, mother, friend and even a grandmother.  Yeah, it just wasn’t a good week.

After a week such as this, it’s real hard not to wish I could re-do some moments.  Moments that weren’t pleasant and maybe, just maybe, if I could do them over they would make better memories.  My kids gave me an Apple watch last Christmas, and periodically throughout the day I will feel it vibrate and the screen will say “Progress Update”.  Now it is telling me my progress as far as my activity and exercise, but I often wish it would give me an update on my actions and reactions.  Maybe that would help me stay on track in those moments when I tend to act or react in a way that I shouldn’t.

Unfortunately, times like this are just a part of life and I’m guessing I’m not the only one to have weeks such as this.   I think just about everyone has days, weeks and maybe even months where they feel they take one step forward and then two steps backwards.  It isn’t what we planned on nor do we intend to repeat it, but yet we find ourselves falling into similar traps over and over again.

It is so easy to dwell on the times when we mess up and before we know it, more of life has passed us by and Satan is applauding.  As long as he can keep our focus on us and on our wrongdoings, he doesn’t have to worry about us having any eternal impact on God’s kingdom.  He loves to make sure that our mistakes just keep getting thrown back in our face so that we will become discouraged and want to give up trying to be a devoted follower of God’s.  And before we know it, we start believing his lie that God must be mad at us and totally disappointed in us and surely doesn’t want us living for Him anymore.

Our Pastor shared something in our service yesterday that was such a comfort to my soul.  He said, “God is not mad at you.  He’s madly in love with you!”  Oh what a wonderful reminder.  Our God loves us, with all our faults and failures, and nothing we can do can ever diminish His love.  Nothing.  Nada.  Never.  He loves us when we are unlovable.  He loves us when we are putting too much focus on ourselves.  He loves us when we commit the same sin over and over again.  He loves us for the exact person that we are today…but loves us enough to want so much more for us tomorrow.

If you are going through a time right now that just isn’t “pretty”, don’t ever forget how much God loves you.  He’s not mad at you…He’s not disgusted with you…He’s not ready to turn His back on you.  He loves you right where you are, regardless of your past or your present, and wants a much brighter future for you.  So don’t ever let Satan tell you otherwise because He is nothing but a liar and trust me…he can’t even comprehend the kind of love that God has for you.  Because God chose you, before you were ever born, and called you by His marvelous grace.  And there is nothing that Satan has that can compare with that!   

BTW…you might also benefit by listening to my Pastor’s sermon from yesterday.  You can watch and listen to it by clicking on this link:  http://hopemissionarychurch.podbean.com.  I think you will be glad you did!


No comments:

Post a Comment