Monday, September 20, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: Do You Feel Like a Dumb Ox?

 


This graphic made me laugh!  Do you ever feel or act like a dumb ox?  Boy, I sure do.   So, when I read certain verses in the Bible, I knew they had probably been written to me 


When I read scripture, I often read it in various versions of the Bible because I have found that sometimes one version will get through my thick skull easier than another.  This was true with Psalm 73:21-28.  While the verses were powerful in the first version, I then read them in The Message and they really came to light.  If you aren’t familiar with this Bible version, it is written in more modern, up-to-date language, which often makes it easier to understand.  In this version, it says:


“When I was beleaguered and bitter,
    totally consumed by envy,
I was totally ignorant, a dumb ox
    in your very presence.
I’m still in your presence,
    but you’ve taken my hand.
You wisely and tenderly lead me,
    and then you bless me.

You’re all I want in heaven!
    You’re all I want on earth!
When my skin sags and my bones get brittle,
    God is rock-firm and faithful.
Look! Those who left you are falling apart!
    Deserters, they’ll never be heard from again.
But I’m in the very presence of God—
    oh, how refreshing it is!
I’ve made Lord God my home.
    God, I’m telling the world what you do!”

Do you know what my first thought was when I read these verses in The Message?  All I could think of was the fact that God loves me…even when I am a dumb ox!  It just blows my mind to think that God sent His Son to die for me even before I asked Him into my heart.  And now, even though I am a Christian, I still have times when I’m sure I look and act like a dumb ox.  There are even times when I can be, just like these verses state, beleaguered and bitter and totally consumed by envy.   But even in those moments, I am still in God’s presence, and He is patiently waiting for me to turn back to Him so He can continue to walk with me every step of the way.  

He is all I need here on earth, and I can’t wait to spend eternity with Him.  It is so amazing to know that God never changes…even when this chaotic world swirls around me, God is my rock and will never leave me.  He never wavers…never loves me any less…or gives up on me.  And just like these verses state, even when my skin sags and my bones get more brittle, He is always faithful and firmly planted by my side.

Are you feeling all alone today?  Are you feeling like a dumb ox?  If you are, I want you to know that I’ve been there too. I’m so thrilled to be able to share with you that God is still right by your side and He loves you right where you are today.   You and I can go to Him, with all our faults and failures, and He can make something so beautiful out of our lives.  No matter what you have done, He doesn’t love you any less and He wants to be the rock that you lean on every day.  Allow yourself to feel His presence in a new and powerful way because He can’t wait to wisely and tenderly lead and bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment