Monday, April 15, 2024

Monday Morning Memo: Be Hated...Be Happy? Part II

Last week we began looking at the final beatitude which says, “God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.  God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers.  Be happy about it!  Be very glad!  For a great reward awaits you in heaven.  And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way” (Matt. 5:10-12).  Now…seven days later…I still find these words to be rather overwhelming and I haven’t been able to get past thinking about what our lives should look like if we are truly following Jesus.

As Christians, we should be living differently than those who are not Christians and, as a result, we may experience some kind of persecution.  The values, priorities, goals and desires we have should produce a different lifestyle.  We should look different, act and react differently and it should be obvious to those around us Whom we serve.

Living out the beatitudes in our daily life means we can’t sit on the fence between Christian faith and the values of this world.  All the beatitudes we have studied are our building blocks to be like Jesus.  When we live our life consistent with the attitudes, characteristics, qualities and values of Jesus our life will be different.  It can’t help but be.

Do you ever wonder why we as Christians in America haven’t, to this point, faced the same kind of persecution as believers in other parts of the world?  Scenes have been shown in our media of horrendous persecutions of believers in other countries, yet we have seemed to get by without such atrocities.  While I am so thankful we haven’t seen this level of violence yet (unfortunately, I believe it is coming), it does make me wonder if we, as Christians, have lost our uniqueness.  Have we become so saturated with the things of this world to the point that no one can tell who are followers of Jesus and who aren’t?  Obviously, if we are no longer living a righteous life, very little persecution will take place. 

I think too often we focus on God’s blessings and forget the price we must be willing to pay to be completely sold out to Him.  God wants us to consider the cost and the dividends, and He wants us to come to Him with our eyes wide open.

If you remember, Jesus didn’t hide anything from us.  He told us like it is, “If you are going to be my disciple, then expect persecution.”  He told us in this life we can expect:

·      Persecution instead of praise

·      Cruel insults instead of cordial invitations

·      Harassment instead of honor

·      Abuse instead of applause

·      Slander instead of support

·      Death instead of dignity 

Jesus wants us to be prepared for the difficulties that will come as a result of following Him.  “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart, because I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

Am I willing to live my life in such a way that I might be truly persecuted for following my Jesus?  Will I let nothing stop me from following Him?  Will you?

Until next week…  

No comments:

Post a Comment