Monday, February 15, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Not Once!


I saw this graphic this past week 
and it made me stop for a moment.  
It made me think of all the times 
in my life that I have looked 
in the mirror and 
didn’t like what I saw.  
The times that I have wished I 
was like someone else.


Why can’t I be as pretty as her?

Why can’t I be as thin as her?

Why can’t I be as creative as her or him?

Why wasn’t I given the athletic ability with which she or he was blessed?

Why can’t I be as smart as she or he is?

Why can’t I write as well as she or he can?

I could go on and on with my list.  There have been many times when what I saw in the mirror, just didn’t measure up to what I thought was “perfection”.

So when I saw this graphic a few days ago it really hit home.  It is so hard for me to believe that not once had God looked at me and thought:

I sure wish LuAnn was as pretty as ___________.

I sure wish LuAnn was as thin as ___________.

I sure wish LuAnn had the same creative ability as ___________.

I sure wish LuAnn was as athletic as ___________.

I sure wish LuAnn was as smart as ___________.

I sure wish LuAnn could write as well as ___________.

Not once has He done this.  God created me to be me and I can waste so much time in my life trying to be someone else, that I miss out on who and what I am.  I am a child of God who was created in HIS image.  I am a child of God who is so dearly loved, that He sent His one and only Son, Jesus, to die on a cross for my sins.  I am a child of God who has accepted Him as my Lord and Savior and as a result, I have a home that is being prepared for me in heaven to spend eternity with my Father.

And the exciting news?  The same is true for you! Not once has He looked at you and wished you were more like ______________(insert the name of your choice).  Not once has God looked at you and thought He made a huge mistake.  NOT ONCE!  You were also created in His image and He loves you more than you can ever imagine.   And He loves you just the way you are…right now.

Yes, He loves you and me with all of our flaws and imperfections and nothing we have done or no inferior quality that we might have can diminish His love for us.  I don’t know about you…but that just blows my mind!

Does that mean that we should never strive to change those qualities that hinder us from looking like Jesus?  Of course not.  Striving to reflect His image should be our focus every day, by making choices that we know will please Him.  It is a continuous process in which He loves us where we are today…but wants even greater things for us tomorrow.  Why?  Because He loves us that much.

So today when you look in the mirror, don’t concentrate on what or who you aren’t.  Concentrate on Who created you and in Whose image you were created.  Remember…God never makes a mistake, so He didn’t make a mistake when He made you and He loves you right where you are TODAY!

So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.
Genesis 1:27




No comments:

Post a Comment