Monday, December 5, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: God's "To-Do" List

He said “No”.  I don’t always handle that well.  I kept praying and praying…hoping I could get Him to change His mind.  But every time His answer was “No”.

I had been contacted to see if I would serve on a team in the spring for a women’s retreat.  I love doing things like that, so when the phone call came my immediate answer was YES…but then I followed my response with the words I knew I better say, “But let me pray about it before I give you my final answer.” 

That’s when I began hearing the Lord’s answer and I didn’t like it.  I kept reminding Him that it was something religious I wanted to do so I couldn’t understand why in the world He wouldn’t let me participate.  It wasn’t like I wanted to spend a weekend bar hopping or gambling my money away.  I would do my best to serve Him with whatever job I was given during those days and do it for His glory.  But no amount of conniving or trying to make deals with the Lord made a difference.  His answer was still “No”.

I reluctantly called the woman back and told her that I couldn’t serve because the Lord said no.  I didn’t know why but I have learned from experience that the disappointment of having to say no is easier to handle than not following His will for my life.  The woman was very understanding and agreed that I needed to listen to the Lord’s response.

This made me think about the fact that my children didn’t always get what they wanted from my husband and me as they were growing up.  They often thought they knew what they needed, but because we were older and more knowledgeable, we knew that what they thought was best, really wasn’t the best thing for them.  This didn’t always go over well with them and at times, they felt like pouting was the thing to do to show us their displeasure with our answer.  All that usually did was reinforce in our minds that we were right…they weren’t ready for that for which they were asking.

I’ve heard adults complain that the Lord never answers their prayers…but I often wonder if the problem is that He isn’t answering…or they aren’t listening because they aren’t getting the answer they desire.  They may be like me and think that they know best and so when His answer isn’t what they want to hear…they just quit listening.  Prayer is such a vital part of our relationship with the Lord, but I think that too often our time is just spent giving Him our “To-Do” list.  We think He should do this or that…in our timing…and with our expected results.  When He doesn’t answer then with the criteria that we have given Him, we just say He isn’t speaking to us, and let’s be honest… we often go off and pout.  And I have to wonder then if that doesn’t just reinforce in the Lord’s mind that His answer was correct…we really weren’t ready for that for which we were asking. 

I still have no clue as to why the Lord told me no…but I’ve decided to accept His answer and trust that He knows best.  I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that He is much more knowledgeable than me and so maybe what I think is best…really isn’t the best thing for me.   If I’m not ready for it…I really don’t want it…so I will wait for His timing and His will to unfold and trust that His “To-Do” list is exactly what I need!

 “Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.
Don’t assume that you know it all.
    Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
    your very bones will vibrate with life!
Honor God with everything you own;
    give him the first and the best.
Your barns will burst,
    your wine vats will brim over.
But don’t, dear friend, resent God’s discipline;
    don’t sulk under his loving correction.
It’s the child he loves that God corrects;
    a father’s delight is behind all this.”
 Proverbs 3:5-12 The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment