Monday, November 28, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: 'Tis The Season

‘Tis the season.  It’s common to hear this phrase this time of year.  ‘Tis the season for celebrating Christ’s birth.  ‘Tis the season for shopping.  ‘Tis the season for gift giving. ‘Tis the season for family gatherings.  ‘Tis the season for eating too much so ‘tis the season for elastic waist pants.

These past few days though, I’ve been thinking of other times I’ve used this phrase.  When our children were young, I remember saying ‘tis the season for sleepless nights…toys everywhere…and absolutely no privacy.  As they grew, the season changed to school projects…first dates…college selections.  Then the season changed to an empty nest…weddings…and returned privacy.  But now, in my 50’s, ‘tis the season for helping with grandchildren…helping our parents…losing some of our privacy again.

As I look back on my life up to today, I realize that there have been seasons of my life when I just existed.  I just endured the day-to-day grind of living…waiting for the next season of life to begin.  Instead of embracing where God had placed me and being open and available to learn whatever He had to teach me during those days…I squirmed and gritted my teeth while I begged Him to hurry the days along.  As a result, the memories aren’t all filled with times of growth and precious moments with my God.

I think it is important to remember that wherever we find ourselves today, ‘tis the season.  In other words, whatever stage of life we are in, it is only for a relatively short span of our life.  Given time…our circumstances usually change and those past seasons just become memories.  But the kind of memories we have often depend on the attitude we displayed during our season.  If we complained and grumbled, then our memories will probably not be pleasant and might be filled with regrets.  But if we chose to have joy…wherever God placed us…our memories will continue to give us more joy and contentment.   

I don’t know what season you are finding yourself today.  You may be single and wondering if God will ever bring you a soul mate.  You may be married and wondering if God will ever bless you with children.  You may have children, but wonder if you will ever make it through the toddler stage.  Your children may be teenagers and you are wondering if you will survive the constant hormone changes.  You may have just entered the empty nest season and you wonder how you will find joy in such a quiet home.  Or, you may be in my season, where grandchildren often fill your home with noise and laughter…and at the same time…you are helping to care for your elderly parents who need your “parenting” touch.

All seasons have challenges.  All seasons have pain.  All seasons have joy.  All seasons can be lived for God’s glory.  But how we look back on that season will depend on our attitude while we are in that timeframe. 

We are promised that God WILL see us through each day, each week, each month, each year.  He doesn’t promise that each day will end exactly the way WE had planned…but if we submit to Him, He promises that each season will end according to HIS perfect plan.  That should give us hope…give us peace…give us the strength needed for the next 24 hours.  Never forget that ‘Tis The Season for Him to work in a mighty way wherever He has placed you today.

 “For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so my ways are higher than your ways
    and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.”
 Isaiah 55:9



No comments:

Post a Comment