Monday, April 10, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Today's Choices

I love to eat.  Now I know that the word “love” is used way too often these days because we use the same word for many different things…but I really think, in this instance…”love” is the correct word.  I’ve talked to people who only eat when they are hungry and I’m sorry, but that just doesn’t make sense to me.  There are many times when I sit down to eat when if I’m honest, I’m really not very hungry, but I can still put away a fair amount of food.  Mentally I know that that probably isn’t a good thing, but my taste buds are usually watering in anticipation of just about any meal.

Because of this, losing weight isn’t always easy.  I, like others I suspect, have good intentions on controlling what goes in my mouth, but then something chocolate jumps in front of me and my self control isn’t always what it should be.  Some days I can resist the temptation…some days I can’t.  I think one reason I often fail in this area, is that I look too far ahead.  I tell myself that I want to lose a set amount of weight by a certain date and I may do well for a few days but then I either lose sight of the goal…or I just feel overwhelmed and give up.

Our pastor made a statement in his sermon a week ago yesterday, that I’ve been thinking about ever since.  I think it is a statement that can help me in this area of my life, along with my spiritual life too.  He said, "The future is a million little choices and it starts right now."  There is so much truth in that one sentence.  Whether it is trying to lose weight, or trying to get a project accomplished, or desiring to look more like my Jesus… the choices I make today will determine how successful I am in those endeavors. 

I think we often “over-think” how we are going to achieve our goal and during that over the top thinking…we can easily become overwhelmed.  We end up blowing it way out of proportion, making a mountain out of a molehill, and then frustration can easily take over.  I think we will be much more successful if we just make a point to think before we make today’s choices and not worry or fret about what decisions we will have to make tomorrow.

Whether it is making a choice to eat a piece of fruit instead of a candy bar…or focusing on marking off one of the things on our to-do list to move closer to finishing a project…or choosing to pick up our Bible instead of turning on the TV…our choices today will impact our overall health tomorrow.

So why not join me today in thinking before we make our choices.  As we are faced with decisions to make, let’s ask ourselves, “Will this choice move me closer to my goal, or further away?”  Remember that God is always willing and able to help us make the right decision.  I’m praying that this simple step will help all of us be much more successful in reaching the goals that God has set before us.

If you need wisdom, ask our generous God,
and he will give it to you.
He will not rebuke you for asking.
James 1:5






No comments:

Post a Comment