Monday, May 8, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Fulfilling Our Vows

I don’t know what it has been like where you live, but here in the Midwest we have seen lots of rain this past week.  To make being outside even a little more miserable, we had high winds on several of the days so walking without getting soaked was a little difficult.

Last Thursday morning I took my mother-in-law to her cancer treatment and of course, we drove through very heavy rain.  When we left that afternoon to return home it wasn’t raining very hard, but the closer we got to the retirement home, the harder it came down.  I pulled up in front of Mom’s building under the covered area to let her out and then I knew I would need to park my car in the lot and walk back in the rain.  As I came around the back of my vehicle to open her door, I saw Dan walking towards us.  He had been waiting in the lot until we arrived, so that he could park my car for me so that I wouldn’t get wet. 

When we left the retirement home, it was still raining and windy.  Dan asked me if my car needed gas and I said that it did.  So he handed me the keys to his truck to take and he took my car and filled it with gas on the way home.  He chose to be out in the nasty elements again, so that I wouldn’t have to.

Dan’s actions that day made me think about some of the other things he does for me.  Many days I wear a Tens unit.  If you aren’t familiar with what that is, it’s a small device that works by sending stimulating pulses across the surface of the skin on my back along the nerves. The stimulating pulses help prevent pain signals from reaching my brain.  It also helps stimulate my body to produce higher levels of its own natural painkillers, called Endorphins.  Since I live with chronic pain, this device is a lifesaver.  Whenever I need this attached to my body, Dan patiently hooks me up.  Not once when I have gone to him to have this done, has he acted irritated or made me feel like I was bothering him. 

I have shared in the past that we use essential oils in our home and they have also been a help to me with my health.  One of the things we take every day is an antioxidant drink that has wolfberries and essential oils in it.  Dan knows how much this helps support muscle relaxation in my legs so that I can sleep so every evening, without me saying anything, he pours us each a “shot” of it and brings me mine.  He wouldn’t have to do this.  He could just let me get my own, or wait for me to bring him his, but instead he serves me in this way.

These are just some of the things that Dan does for me, that no one else ever sees.  He doesn’t do them to get recognition or to put on a “show” in front of others; he does them because he loves me.  He took our vows seriously over 35 years ago, when he said he would love me for better or for worse.  Believe me, in our marriage that has been a lot of “worse” with my health, causing Dan to have to care for me often.  But he hasn’t complained or made me feel like I was a bother.  I’m sure there have been times when walking away has probably looked pretty enticing, but instead he has chosen to stay and serve me instead.

I feel today that there is someone who is thinking about walking away from his or her vows.  There is someone who thinks that things would be so much easier if they would end their marriage and move on to greener pastures.  I want to encourage you today to not give in to Satan’s ploy to destroy your marriage.  You may have also wed someone who has brought more “worse” into your daily life due to health problems, emotional problems or maybe financial problems.   Instead of turning your back on your mate, I want to urge you to continue serving them instead.  Oftentimes, it doesn’t have to be big, showy things that you need to do, but little ways that you can show the one you fell in love with, that you still love them and you aren’t giving up.

Before I get e-mails, I do know that there are circumstances that warrant a divorce.  I know there are situations of abuse and infidelity where it is necessary for a spouse to leave.  I am not referring to these situations.  Unfortunately, there are too many couples that are going their own separate ways, just because they just want something or someone different.

Satan is on the attack on marriages today and it is high time that each of us makes sure that he does not win in our home.  We need to do all we can to show our spouse that he or she is the one of which we are committed and then do what we can to demonstrate our love.  I can tell you, coming from the one who is on the receiving end of these acts of love, it is very humbling.  It is easy to feel that I am not deserving of this kind of understanding and care, and I don’t want to take the relationship that we have for granted.  None of us are promised tomorrow, so we better take advantage of today to do what we can to fulfill our sacred vows.


Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable,
and it keeps no record of being wronged.

1 Corinthians 13:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment