Monday, May 29, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Paralyzed or Petrified?

I find it interesting that the Lord will often put people in my path, within a few days, who have a similar “story” to tell me.  It’s often at unexpected times and in unusual places but I’m convinced that it’s probably because He knows I have a thick head and need reminded often.

I experienced this last week.  In the first situation, I was sitting in a nail salon and I asked the technician if she had plans for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.  That was all it took for her to begin to share with me how difficult this particular weekend is for her and her family.  She shared that many years ago, her brother was killed in a tragic car accident at this time of year and the pain and suffering that followed in her family.  As her tears flowed, she told me that as a result of this event, she learned that we are never promised tomorrow, we only have today.  She said we need to not let the past or the future control us…that today is what is important and we need to make sure we are having a positive impact on those with whom we come in contact today.  She shared that in light of eternity, our time here on earth is short and we need to make today the best it can be. 

Forty-eight hours later, I was 70 miles from home eating breakfast with my husband at the Haiti Benefit Auction in Shipshewana, Indiana.  As we ate, an Amish man moved closer to us and asked where we were from.  We visited for a while and then he looked at Dan and told him that he was a very lucky man, because he still has his wife.  He proceeded to tell us that his wife passed away a year and a half ago and how much he missed her.  He said he always thought that he would go first and never dreamed he would find himself alone.  In our conversation, he said we need to remember that “things” in life aren’t what are important.  He talked about a man in his community who recently sold his business because he realized what this Amish man already knew, that status or wealth isn’t what is important. We have today and we need to make sure we are living like we should be because tomorrow isn’t promised.

As I thought about these two encounters, I asked myself how I want to live today.  Do I want to use the moments of today…digging up past hurts, failures and heartaches…or do I want to make the most of the minutes I am blessed to have today?  Also, do I want to waste my time, worrying and fretting about what might happen tomorrow…or do I want to use my energy to touch the lives of others today? 

Today is Memorial Day; the day we honor those who have given their all so that we can experience freedom.  Because of their sacrifice…you and I have today.  What a shame if we throw away this gift that we have been given, because we are paralyzed by our past or petrified of our future.  We may only have today.  Let’s make sure we use every moment to live for our Jesus in such a way that others see Him in us.  Then, and only then, will the sacrifices that have been made for us not be in vain.

 “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland.

Isaiah 43:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment