Monday, December 4, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Life's Disappointments

This is the week that I look forward to all year.  It’s the week that I have written about every year for quite some time.  It’s the week where I know I’m going to laugh, build stronger relationships, work hard and feel so fulfilled.

This is the week that I am usually in Boone, NC working at Samaritan’s Purse, packing boxes for Operation Christmas Child.  If you have ever had the privilege of working for this worthy cause, you know exactly what I am talking about.  It’s an amazing opportunity to do something that is so worthwhile and impacts many children around the world.   I absolutely love going and even years where my health wasn’t the best, I have still been able to work it out so that I could go…until this year.

My surgery was ten weeks ago today and I thought for sure I would be recuperated enough by now to be able to go on this trip.  But, since riding in a car still causes me pain and since I still cannot stand for long periods or sit upright for more than ten minutes, it became evident that it just wasn’t going to be possible for me to go this year.  To say I was disappointed…is an understatement. 

But life is full of disappointments, isn’t it?  Some, like me not being able to go this week, aren’t really devastating but others can really be life changing.  The marriage you thought would last forever…didn’t.  The good friend you thought would always be by your side…let you down. The good health you thought you would always have…changed because of an unexpected diagnosis.  The new job that seemed to be the answer to your financial problems…was given to someone far less qualified.

So, how do we handle life’s disappointments?  How do we keep going when we would rather just hide under the covers and not face a new day?  Honestly, I’m not sure there is one, pat answer for these questions, but I like the advice on this graphic.  First of all, I think we do need to be patient.  The reason is that oftentimes, what seems to disappointing today may not seem so bad tomorrow.  Sometimes, after some time has passed, we are able to see why certain things happened the way they did and the reasons why God allowed changes to occur.

Secondly, we need to remember that even when we have things thrown at us that we didn’t expect, we need to keep living life.  It is so easy to just dwell on our disappointments and as a result, we become stagnant.  We get stuck in a rut and we spend all of our waking moments just focusing on our problems and we end up throwing a pity party for ourselves. As we know, that never solves anything.  We also need to keep in mind that when we sit and stew about our disappointments, we make Satan very happy.

Thirdly, we need to have faith in the One who created us and knows what is best for us in the long run.  What we can’t see…He can.  What we don’t know…He does.  The disappointment of today may just be the closing of one door so that another, better door can open.  Our current situation may make no sense to us now, but putting our faith and trust in our Jesus does make sense and that is what we are called to do. 

So if you are dealing with a disappointment right now, remember to be patient…continue living life…and put your faith in your Heavenly Father.  He loves you more than you can even imagine and He can turn your disappointments into something that will bring Him glory and honor.  And that my friend, will make it all worthwhile!

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment