Monday, January 8, 2018

Monday Morning Memo: The Power of a Touch

Ever since my surgery, our three-year-old grandson, Elias, has wanted to have a sleepover at our home.  We had done this numerous times before my operation, but I just haven’t felt up to having him yet overnight.  He also attends preschool, so it has made it a little more difficult to figure out a time when he could stay with us.  Each time Elias would come to see us, he would say something to the effect of, “Grandma, I’ve been thinking that I need to have a sleepover here with you and Grandpa.”

I’m sure you will be relieved to know that we finally got the big sleepover accomplished this past week.  Since Elias’ preschool was on break for the holidays, and I was feeling stronger, we invited him and Ezekiel, his 22-month-old brother, to stay with us overnight.  They both entered our door, grinning from ear to ear, knowing that the next 24 hours was going to be playtime with Grandma and Grandpa.

And play we did!  We got on the floor, and out came the trucks and tractors; we colored pictures, made lots of pretend meals in our pretend restaurant, read books and just had a great time.  Of course a lot of my time was spent in our real kitchen because our grandsons have hearty appetites!  

I so love being a grandma and I want to soak up every moment that I can with my grandchildren.  But, I was reminded this past week that I often think that our time together is important because I want to impact their lives.  While that is true, I sometimes forget that our time together is an opportunity for them to impact my life too.

Let me give you an example.  Elias and I were talking and all of the sudden, he reached over and started rubbing my back.  Now, he is a very tenderhearted boy and he knows that I have a bad back.  He said, “Grandma, does that feel good?”  When I assured him that it did, he said, “Good, because I want to make your back better.”  Be. Still. My. Heart.  His simple touch made my day.

Since that moment, I have been thinking about the power of a touch; being intentional in making a difference in someone’s day.  Like Elias, it may mean physically reaching out and putting your arm around someone who is hurting.  Or, it may be as simple as smiling at a harried cashier or looking for a way to lend a helping hand or listening ear to a friend.  The ways to impact a person’s day are endless, but we just have to be willing to take advantage of the opportunities that Jesus sends our way.

We live in a day when many people are discouraged and are ready to give up because they think that no one cares.  What if our simple gesture of love towards them was what they needed to face another day?  What if our smile or compliment gave someone the courage to do something new and challenging in their walk with their Jesus?  Best of all…what if our act of caring allowed someone to see our Jesus through us and as a result, he or she wanted a relationship with Him too?  Wow…the angels would be rejoicing!

Let’s be watching today for moments to utilize the “power of a touch”.  I’m guessing that if we are willing…Jesus will be more than willing to provide the opportunities.   

“So now I am giving you a new commandment:
Love each other. Just as I have loved you,
you should love each other. 
Your love for one another will prove
to the world that you are my disciples.”

John 13:34-35



No comments:

Post a Comment