Monday, April 9, 2018

Monday Morning Memo: Worth the Pain

Several weeks ago, I had the “fun” experience of having my knee aspirated.  If you’ve never had this done, you may just want to add it to your bucket list.  What a great time it was.  I had talked to others who had it done, so I knew a little bit of what to expect…but until you have it done yourself, you really can’t understand the process.

Just in case you aren’t getting my form of satire, to say this procedure was painful is an understatement.  The doctor warned me that it was going to hurt and of course I had a choice.  I could either continue with the pain that the fluid in my knee was causing, or I could go through the pain of the aspiration and hopefully have less pain afterwards.  No one else could do it for me, because I was the one with the problem.  In the end, I decided I would take the immediate pain because I figured I had endured a lot of pain in my life…so this really shouldn’t be too bad.

I can now laugh at my thought pattern that day, but at the time, I wasn’t laughing.  To be honest, it was all I could do not to cry and I have a very high pain tolerance.  But in the end, I have to admit that it was worth the hurt to have some relief afterwards. 


That day brought something to my mind.   How many times in our Christian walk, when we know there is something wrong with our relationship with Jesus, do we do nothing because we don’t want to go through the pain of setting things straight?  We know it is our choice whether we confess our sin to Him because He never forces us to do anything.  So it’s up to you and me to decide whether we are willing to humble ourselves now, knowing that it might be painful to admit our wrongdoing, or put it off for a later time.  The problem is that if we decide to wait, we are more apt to begin to rationalize our sin…thinking that it really isn’t that bad.  The more time that passes, the more used to the sin we become, and we can find ourselves falling farther away from our Jesus.
I think the longer we wait, the easier it often is to blame others for our actions. “If you just knew my mother, you would understand why I acted the way I did.”   “If you worked for the boss I work for, you would think what I did wasn’t so bad.”   "If you knew what my husband/wife was really like, you would understand why I left when I did.”
Rationalizing a sin so that we don’t have to go through pain in the present will just cause more pain in the end.  The sooner we take ownership of our actions and ask for forgiveness, the better off we will be.  No one else can do it for us.  Just like we won’t answer for anyone else’s actions, no one else can answer or be blamed for our sins.  We have to be willing to take responsibility, even if it causes us discomfort.

The amazing thing is that once we confess our sin, Jesus completely forgives us.  We are completely cleansed.  He doesn’t even remember our transgression and never brings it up again.  Hebrews 8:12 says, “And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.”

It is so important for each of us to take inventory of our life to see if we have anything that needs to be confessed.  Are we dragging our feet because we know that it may cause pain in the present?  Holding off will just make things worse and more painful in the days to come.  Each of us needs to repent of our sin today, asking Jesus to completely cleanse us anew.  He is ready and willing.  I have learned from experience that any pain we experience now is so worth it to be made completely clean by Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment