Monday, September 23, 2019

Monday Morning Memo: Preconceived Ideas

I knew I wouldn’t like it.  I’d like the opportunity to be with friends…but I wouldn’t like the city.  I mean, who would like a city that is overcrowded, littered with trash and filled with politicians? No one in their right mind would…I was confident of that.

But then…I’ve been told I’m not always in my right mind J  We were invited by friends to go with them to Washington DC last week to see the Bible Museum and other highlights in the area.  I immediately wanted to go…but I knew I wouldn’t like the city.  And I was right…I didn’t just likethe city…I think I sort of loved it!

My preconceived thoughts of Washington DC couldn’t have been more wrong.  The city is absolutely beautiful and very clean.  We spent hours walking and walking and sightseeing and then did more walking…and I loved every minute of it.  The Bible Museum was awesome and I highly recommend it if you get to DC.  The Holocaust Museum was so moving and left a lasting impression on me.  The sightseeing trolley ride was great and I loved seeing the U.S. Capitol, Bureau of Printing and Engraving, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument and all the other sights that we crammed into 3 ½ days!

Preconceived ideas.  I wonder how many other times in my life my thoughts have been wrong.  How many times have I not gone somewhere or done something, just because I was sure I wouldn’t like it?  How many times have I met someone and made a very rash judgement of what he or she was like and neglected to take the time to really get to know them?  How many times have I immediately said “No” when asked to serve in my church or community…because I just knew I couldn’t do it?

Our trip last week has left me wondering what all I have missed out on and who all I have missed getting to know…because of my preconceived ideas.  I’m guessing that I have missed out on quite a bit.  

What about you?  Have there been opportunities that you have passed up because you were confident that you wouldn’t like it?  Have there been people you immediately stamped “Reject” without really getting to know them?  Have you said “No” when asked to serve because you knew, without even knowing the details, that you weren’t qualified?  I hope not.  I hope you are a better person than me and wait to make judgements until after you know all the facts.

If you do struggle with this like I do…let’s make it a point this week to look at places, people and opportunities with a more open mind.  Who knows…we might find out that we’ve been missing out all along!

 “Look beneath the surface so you can judge correctly.”
John 7:24

No comments:

Post a Comment