Monday, September 30, 2019

Monday Morning Memo: Throne Thursdays

It all started with a free journal that came in the mail.  For some reason, when I saw it, I had a feeling there was something in particular I was supposed to use it for.

Confession time…I’m not a journal-er.  Yes, I love to write…but recording my thoughts in a journal every day has never been on my to-do list.  I’m not sure why…I’ve just never made it a priority.

After I received this journal, I was listening to a sermon and the minister was talking about how important it is for us to pray for others.  We all get so wrapped up in our own lives and our own concerns…and we neglect to take other’s prayer concerns to the throne of God.

The throne of God.  For some reason, I kept having the words “Throne Thursday” go through my mind during this time and again, I had no idea what that meant.  It sure drives me crazy when fragments of ideas rattle through my brain and I’m not sure how those pieces of the puzzle are going to fit together.

Then, we took that trip to Washington DC that I wrote about last week, and I wanted a short book to read while we were gone.  I walked in my library and the first book that caught my attention was Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala.  I’ve read this book several times but knew it would be a good one to re-read. 

As I was reading…these words jumped off the page at me, “…the writer to the Hebrews nails down the most central activity of all for Christians:  ‘Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need’ (Heb 4:16).  It doesn’t say, ‘Let us come to the sermon.’  We in America have made the sermon the centerpiece of the church, something God never intended.  Preachers who are really doing their job get people to come to the throne of grace.  That’s the true source of grace and mercy.”  There was that word “throne” again.  I’ve never heard it so many times before in a matter of a few weeks.

We then had the privilege of hearing Max Lucado speak at the Museum of the Bible in DC.  What an awesome evening.  He talked about how we are to be encouragers to those around us.  They need to know that we care; that we will listen; that we want to hear their story.  Hmmmmmmm…

We were given Lucado’s new book that evening entitled, How Happiness Happens.  I brought it home and began reading it and what did I read?  “Our heavenly Father has invited us to be his partner.  Dare we accept the invitation?  Our prayers unlock the storehouses of heaven.  The link between God’s goodness and your friends is your prayers.  When you pray, when you speak for the ones who need help to the One who can give it, something wonderful happens.”  Suddenly, everything that had been knocking around in my brain came together and finally made sense and a new ministry plan was born.

The free journal I received is not for me…it is for you.  I want to use it to record your prayer concerns so that I can take them to God’s throne.  So, beginning this Thursday, I will begin “Throne Thursday”.  On Thursdays, you can let me know of a prayer concern that you have, that you would like for me to pray about.  You don’t even have to tell me details if you don’t want to. Just let me know that you have an urgent, unspoken request that needs taken to the throne…and I promise to do just that.

As with anything, there needs to be guidelines…so here they are:

1.     Please let me know of your concern either my email – luannfulton@gmail.com, or through Messenger on Facebook.  Those are the places I will be looking for them.

2.    Due to the fact that I have no idea how many requests I will receive, please share just 1 particular prayer concern with me.  I want to be able to cover everyone who asks…so at this time I will take one per person.

3.    Please know that if you decide to share details of your request with me…so that I will know how to specifically pray for you…I will share this with no one else.  Anything sent to me will be kept in strict confidence.

4.    All I ask from you, is that you let me know when your prayer concern is answered.  I am always blown away at God’s power and how He works in such mighty ways.  So please, let me know when you see His hand at work in your situation and I will record it in the journal.

It all started with a free journal…which will now be used to record your prayer concerns and answers, every Throne Thursday.  I then promise to take your need to God’s throne…asking Him to intervene in a powerful, mighty way.  I am committed to approach our gracious God boldly, so you may receive His mercy and find grace to help you when you need it most!

 “So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. 
There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace 
to help us when we need it most.”
Hebrews 4:16


1 comment:

  1. Thank you LuAnn. There is power in prayer!

    ReplyDelete