Monday, October 14, 2019

Monday Morning Memo: The Manure Pile

As many of you know…my mind often works in strange ways.  I can read something, and what pops into my brain would probably never come to anyone else’s.  Yep, call me an odd duck…because that description fits me well J

This just happened again when I read a couple verses in the Bible.  I found them in Luke !4:34-35.  It says, “Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses its flavor, how do you make it salty again?  Flavorless salt is good neither for the soil nor for the manure pile. It is thrown away. Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!”  When I read these verses, I wondered what in the word does salt have to do with a manure pile!

So, I started doing some research and as always, I found several different explanations for these verses.  But there was one that sort of stuck in my warped mind…so naturally, that is the one I will share with you.

In these verses, Jesus was referring to his followers being like salt in the world and if we lose our “saltiness”, we’re not fit for even the manure pile.  But for that to make sense, we need to know why salty salt is good on a manure pile and why unsalty salt isn’t.  I have never bragged that I’m an expert on manure piles…so I had to do some investigating.

The explanation I found was that in Jesus’ day, people cooked over fires that used dried animal manure as fuel because deserts didn’t have a large supply of wood.  The people learned that when they mixed salt with the manure, the salt caused a chemical reaction which made the fire burn brighter and hotter for longer.  But after a while, this process broke down the salt, causing it to become unsalty, and so the chemical reaction with the manure stopped and the fire would go out.

Jesus used this illustration to get across to the people that they were supposed to be like salty salt, so that when they were mixed in with the “manure” of the world, they were able to cause God’s Word to burn brighter and hotter.  In other words, their lives should be causing the “chemical reaction” so they would shine brightly for Him!

So, and here comes the really warped mind part, all I could think of as I read this explanation was… how hot is my manure pile?  If how I am living my life determines how brightly I am shining for others who don’t know my Jesus…do they see Him in me or is my “fire” petering out? Have I lost my “saltiness” in the unsaved world around me…or am I making sure my life is kept “seasoned” by my close relationship with my Jesus? 

You’ve probably already guessed that I can’t end this without asking you the same question…how hot is your manure pile?  Is it burning hotter and brighter because the “salt” of your life has been thrown in the mix?  Or are your embers starting to go out?   

I think we can all agree that we are living in a world that needs Jesus.  If we aren’t shining brightly for Him…I’m doubtful that anyone will be too interested in our cold embers.  So, let’s make a point this week to throw ourselves into the “mix” so that those who are lost will be drawn to our flame!

 “You are the light of the world—
like a city on a hilltop 
that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp 
and then puts it under a basket.  Instead, a lamp 
is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone 
in the house.  In the same way, let your good deeds 
shine out for all to see, so that everyone 
will praise your heavenly Father.”

Matthew 5:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment