Monday, June 22, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: Accomplishing the Impossible


“Accomplishing the impossible begins with seeing the invisible.”  I saw this quote by Steven Furtick and I haven’t been able to get it off my mind.  I read something like this and I immediately agree with what it says…but then living it out doesn’t come so easy.

Why is it so hard for me to see the invisible…especially when it comes to trusting God?  I trust a lot of other things that I cannot see.  I trust that there is a sun in the sky even when it is completely covered by clouds.  I trust that there is going to be air to breathe as I go throughout my day, but I can’t actually see it.  Many times in my life, I have trusted that when I have been pushed into an MRI machine, the pulses of radio wave energy, which I cannot see, will take pictures of areas inside my body.

But trusting an invisible God, even though I have seen the effect of the power of His hand, is much more difficult.  When it comes to trusting Him, I want something tangible.  I want proof.  I want facts.  I want details.  And of course…I want results!

I have a feeling that I am not alone in this and I wonder how often God shakes His head at our ways.  Knowing how much He loves us and how much He wants the very best for us, I can’t help but believe that He is saying, “Please my dear child, trust the invisible…because it is much more wonderful that anything you can even imagine or see with your own eyes.” 

I think part of the problem is that we bring God down to our size, instead of realizing how big and powerful He really is.  Nothing is impossible for Him.  Nothing makes Him wring His hands.  Nothing catches Him off guard or even makes Him break a sweat.  Absolutely nothing.

As some of you know, we owned a catering service for almost 40 years and now our son owns it and my husband and I work for him part-time.  When Covid-19 hit our area and the state restrictions were imposed on the business, in an instant, the business went from having 10-14 events a week to zero.  The business phone rang almost constantly as group after group called to cancel.  

I remember when our son looked at me and said, “I never thought this would happen”.  Of course, we didn’t either…but I told him that even though we didn’t see it coming…our God did.  None of it caught Him by surprise.  He wasn’t wringing His hands, wondering what in the world we were going to do.  He was still on the throne and was still in control…even if we couldn’t see His hand at work.   At that point, our son had to make the decision to put his trust in the invisible…knowing that with God…all things are possible.  The result?  God has been faithful and has been accomplishing the impossible to keep the business going.

What is it in your life today that just seems impossible?  What do you want to see accomplished but you just can’t make yourself step out in faith because there isn’t anything tangible to hold onto?  Remember the size of your God.  What you cannot see…He sees clearly.  What you cannot do…He has already done.  What you cannot achieve on your own…He already has it accomplished and is just waiting for you to step into His plan.  I happen to believe that when we do this and when the fog finally clears, what we will behold will be worth the first step into the unknown.

“We don’t yet see things clearly. 
We’re squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. 
But it won’t be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! 
We’ll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, 
knowing him directly just as he knows us!”
1 Corinthians 13:12 (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment