Monday, August 24, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: No Set Pattern

This is my favorite plant on our property.  It’s called a “Porcupine Maiden Grass” and I love it.  Every time I walk by, it catches my attention and I have so enjoyed watching it grow this summer. 

As I looked at it this past week, something came to my mind.  This plant’s leaves have no set pattern.  If you look up close at them, you see that they just go every which way and you could say it looks like an explosion of leaves.  As I considered this, it made me think of times in my life when everything was in a whirl.  Nothing made sense…I felt like my thoughts were just an explosion of pieces that never came together…I failed more than I succeeded…and there was definitely no set pattern.

But if you step back and look at this plant…you realize that it’s the lack of set pattern that makes it so beautiful.  It’s that explosion of leaves that creates something that makes me in awe of God’s creation…because yes…this is something He designed.

Hmmmm.  I then began to think about those times in my life when everything was in disarray…and when I stepped back and looked at what all I was going through…I realized that those times helped make me who I am today.  How?  Because God uses every situation…every detour…every failure…to make me look more like Him.  Because just like this beautiful plant…I was created by Him and I am His child who was made in His image.  

I am a child of God even with all of my faults and failures.  WOW.  That just blows my mind.  And do you know what?  You are too!  If you have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, you are His precious daughter or son, and He so desires to work in and through you to make you look just like Him.  You were created in His image and you are a beauty to behold…even if you feel like you have failed Him over and over again…He still loves you and wants you to see your worth.  

I love the words in Isaiah 4 in the version The Message, “Don’t be afraid, I’ve redeemed you.  I’ve called your name.  You’re mine.  When you’re in over your head, I’ll be there with you.  When you’re in rough waters, you will not go down.  When you’re between a rock and a hard place, it won’t be a dead end – Because I am God, your personal God.  The Holy of Israel, your Savior.  I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in!  That’s how much you mean to me!  That’s how much I love you!  I’d sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.”

If you feel like God doesn’t love you or that He’s given up on you…I want you to read and reread those verses in Isaiah.  No matter where you are or what situation you find yourself in…God is right there and He will do anything to make sure you are taken care of.  Why?  Because He loves you that much!

Why not take a step back today and look at your situation through God’s eyes?   Even when life feels like a whirl and there is no set pattern…remember that God can use your situation to mold you and make you look more like Him.  I’m praying you will see the beauty that He sees when He looks at you, because you, dear child, were made in His image and oh, how He loves you so!

No comments:

Post a Comment