Monday, September 21, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: Behind The Pole

 


Sometimes, living in this crazy world, we just need to laugh…and this graphic made me do just that the other day!  This picture says it all.  How many times in my life have I done something I knew wasn’t pleasing to my Jesus…but I just figured He wouldn’t notice.  I mean…He is so busy with all the major disasters going on and the election coming up…He surely isn’t paying any attention to my “small” sins.

 

I have a question for you and me.  Why do we brag about our Jesus being all-knowing and all-powerful…but then hope to high heavens He doesn’t see what we are doing when we sin?  Rather silly, isn’t it?  But unfortunately, I’m guessing all of us have done this at some point.  Oh, maybe we figure it isn’t a “big” sin.  Maybe it’s just reading books or watching movies that we know we shouldn’t be reading or watching.  Or, maybe it’s just speaking to our spouse in a way we know we wouldn’t…if we saw Jesus standing next to us.  Or maybe it’s just that white lie we told the person who called because we surely didn’t want to have to spend time with them.  Why, it could even be that money we took “under the table” in our job so we wouldn’t have to report it on our taxes.  When we figure all the “big” sins we see going on in our world today…surely ours can be hidden and ignored.

 

Psalms 139: 1-6 says, “O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.  You know when I sit down or stand up.  You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.  You see me when I travel and when I rest at home.  You know everything I do.  You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.  You go before me and follow me.  You place your hand of blessing on my head.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!”  We read these words and we often think how wonderful it is that He knows everything about us…until we really comprehend that He DOES know EVERYTHING about us! AND, He still loves us anyway…with all of our faults and failures.  Such amazing love.

 

It’s because of His amazing love for us that He wants so much more for us.  He wants us to look more and more like Him…to be more Christ-like in everything we do…and that will never happen if we just continue to think we can hide our sins from Him.  Later in Psalm 139, we find these words, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.”

 

I know if I really do want to look like Christ, my desire…my longing… should be for Him to point out those things in my life that aren’t pleasing to Him.  Then I have to be willing to ask for forgiveness and put those things aside that are weighing me down and holding me back from being a totally devoted follower of His.  I know that some days will be harder than others to really listen for His leading and then be obedient…but if my heart is truly given to Him…it will be so worth it as He leads me along the path of everlasting life.  

 

As we go throughout our week, let’s keep today’s picture in our mind with each decision we make. Let’s take a moment to ask ourselves if we are trying to hide behind the pole with our actions…hoping and praying He isn’t looking.  Or, are we thrilled to pieces He is right by our side…enjoying the journey with us. The decision my friend…is ours to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment