Monday, December 14, 2020

Monday Morning Memo: Living Water

Diet Mountain Dew. If you were to come to me and ask what my drink of choice is…that is the answer I would give you.  In fact, I have probably been known to make the statement that I “love” this drink.  Now, before I get a deluge of emails telling me that Diet Mountain Dew is not a healthy choice, you can save your comments.  I already know that bit of information and I don’t drink it every day.  I always have it on Sunday night with my popcorn (yes, that is a tradition at my house) and then on average I have one once or twice during the week.

 

OK…now that you have been given that exhilarating bit of information about me…you are probably wondering why in the world I decided to divulge that confession with you.  Honestly, I’m not sure.  All I know is that God has been speaking to me this past week as a result of my desire for this drink and the fact that I really look forward to consuming it.  Yep, I know that may sound crazy…but I enjoy the taste so much that when Sunday afternoon comes around…I can hardly wait until the popcorn is popped and the drink is in my hand.  Yes, I lead a wild and crazy life.

 

Dan and I had the privilege last week to work at the Operation Christmas Child (OCC) processing center in Boone, North Carolina.   OCC is such a worthy cause and getting the opportunity to work for this ministry is honestly one of the highlights of my year. It is hard to comprehend that each box we touch is going to end up in the hands of a child who, more than likely, has never received a gift before in his or her life.  We in America can’t fathom that kind of living situation.  These boxes are being sent all over the world…giving children the basics of life…and also telling them about our Jesus.  These boxes can and do impact eternity…what a blessing!

 

While we were there, we heard from a young man by the name of Alex Nsengimana.  Alex is a survivor of the Rwandan genocide that took place back in 1994, when almost a million of his countrymen lost their lives. He vividly remembers his uncle and grandmother being brutally killed right in front of his eyes by his own neighbors when he was about six.  As a result, since his mother had already died from HIV/AIDS before the killings, Alex was displaced, running for his life with his brother and sister.  Eventually he landed in an orphanage where he said no one could ever sleep because of the screams from the children as they faced nightmare after nightmare.

 

Then, OCC boxes arrived and each child in the orphanage received a precious shoebox.  This was the first present Alex had ever received and he said you just can’t imagine the joy he felt as he carefully removed each precious item from his box.  He shared how excited he was with everything he was given…but do you know what his most favorite prized possession was from his box?  A comb.  That’s right…something that we take for granted on a daily basis was what meant the most to him.  He said he carried that comb with him every single day for three years until he lost it and was so upset when it was gone.

 

A comb.  And I complain if I run out of Diet Mountain Dew.  That may seem like a silly comparison…but it is something I have had running through my mind ever since Alex shared with us.  How many things take precedence in my thoughts throughout the week that really have no importance?  How often do I dwell on what I want…instead of what I can do to fulfill someone else’s necessities of life?  How petty and superficial is my life on a daily basis…when there are those around me who have great needs?

 

Of course, there is another question I have been asking myself.  How much do I look forward to spending time with my Jesus?  If I can hardly wait to have a can of soda on Sunday nights…how much more should I look forward each day to consume the living water that Jesus has for me?   Do I thirst for Him more than I thirst for my drink?  Again, you may think that’s a strange comparison…but it is a reminder to me that it’s so easy for things of this world…really insignificant things…to creep in and become a priority as I neglect those who will someday face eternity…with or without my Jesus.

 

Not only did Alex receive a treasured comb that day…he also heard that there was a Savior who loved him more than he could imagine.  As a result, Alex accepted Jesus into his heart, which was a gift he didn’t have to worry about losing. 

 

Friends, we don’t have to go to Rwanda to find those in need…they are all around us.  Many have physical needs that we can meet, and many have a spiritual longing of which we have the answer.  I have come home from this trip with a renewed desire to do what I can to make a difference in eternity by meeting the needs of those whom Christ puts in my path.  If I can tell others that I “love” a carbonated drink…shouldn’t I be willing to share with them the true and steadfast love of Jesus?  That is my desire.  Will you join me?

“Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”

John 13:34-35 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment