Monday, April 12, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: My Dash

I don’t know if it is because I had a birthday last month or if it is because I am now spending time again at the cancer center as my mother-in-law has treatments, but I’ve been thinking about my dash lately.   No, my dash has nothing to do with running or a seasoning in my kitchen cupboard.  It has to do with the tiny dash that will someday come between my birthdate and the date I meet my Jesus face to face.


Some of you may think that this is rather morbid or depressing, but I happen to think it is a good thing to spend some time thinking about what we want our dash to represent.  That tiny mark will someday represent everything we did in our lifetime; everything we stood for and everything for which we will be remembered. 


Sometimes I think it is easier to think about what I don’t want it to represent.  I have no interest in others looking back on my life and saying:


“She acquired so much wealth”


“She had more ‘toys’ than her neighbors”


“She always kept her house immaculate”


“She always got everything done on her list each day…”


None of those things will amount to a hill of beans when I take my last breath.  None of those things will leave a legacy on this earth that will impact the eternity of those who come behind me.  But I am finding that it is so easy to fall into the trap of having each day consumed with those very things for which I don’t want to be remembered.  


To make sure my dash stands for what is truly important, I think it is crucial then that I am intentional to make sure each day on this earth is lived for my Jesus.   My eyes need to be kept on Him.  My ears need to be listening for His voice to direct my path.  My voice needs to be filled with words that will direct others to Him instead of away from Him.  And, my heart needs to be filled with His love for each and every soul that comes across my path.


I would like nothing more than to come to the end of my life and have others say just one thing about my dash, 


“She lived for her Jesus”


I know though, for that to happen, I need to make choices and decisions today that will show for Whom I am living.  It won’t always be easy and I know I will stumble along the way.  But I also know that if my eyes are kept on my Jesus, He promises to give me the strength, courage and wisdom I will need to make my dash worth living.


 “He gives power to the weak

and strength to the powerless.

Even youths will become weak and tired,

and young men will fall in exhaustion.

But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.

They will soar high on wings like eagles.

They will run and not grow weary.

They will walk and not faint.”

Isaiah 40:29-31

 


 

Don’t forget, if you would like to join me in my study of the book of James, you can find my YouTube channelImage Seeker, at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0szlDSgNBtFuzzNLBWzwMA.  I posted another teaching video this morning, “Let God and Let God”  Check it out!

 

If you would like encouraging thoughts to help you in your daily walk with Jesus, check out and “Like” my new Facebook page, “Image Seeker”…you can find it at https://www.facebook.com/Image-Seeker-109914611136211/news_feed.  

 

And, if you aren’t on Facebook but would still like to see encouraging posts and notices of new videos…”Follow” me on Instagram.  Just search for “theimageseeker”

No comments:

Post a Comment