Monday, June 7, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: Get Going!

Sometimes there is a verse in the Bible that just jumps off the page.  It might be one that I have read many times before and it had no impact at the time...but then suddenly it’s as if it has a spotlight on it.  This is what happened with 2 Chronicles 31:21 which says this about Hezekiah:  “In everything that he undertook in the service of God’s temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly.  And so he prospered.”  WOW.  Is this really possible?


I haven’t been able to get that verse out of my mind.  Everything.  Not some things...not a few things...not just when it was convenient or easy...everything he did, Hezekiah sought his God and worked wholeheartedly.  I’m confident that these words can’t be said about me.  I wish they could...but unfortunately, “me” gets in the way too often.  I want to seek God and work wholeheartedly...but there are times when the going gets tough and I give up.  I deem it as too big of a sacrifice to give everything that I have, so I back off and hope someone else picks up the pieces.


What was the result of Hezekiah’s complete devotion to his God?  He prospered.  What that tells me is that we can’t outgive God!  Yes, I’m sure Hezekiah had to sacrifice a lot to do whatever God asked of him, but in turn, God abundantly blessed him.  No matter how much we do for God...He gives us more!


This makes me wonder then what blessings I have missed.  What was God waiting to do for me, but because I gave up, I didn’t receive the blessings?  What was just around the corner, or just over the hill in my life that would have just “blown my socks off” in amazement because I would have seen His power at work...but instead I was left feeling empty and unfulfilled?


I’m sure you have heard the saying, “When the going gets tough, the tough get going”.  Wikipedia says this about this adage:  In context, “the going” means “the situation”, “gets tough” means “becomes difficult”, “the tough” means “people who are strong or enduring”, and “get going” means “become fully engaged”.  Taken together, the meaning of the phrase is “When the situation becomes difficult, the strong will work harder to meet the challenge”.  


That is exactly what we are called to do.  When the road gets tough..we are to dig our heels in and just work all the harder to meet the challenge.  “Giving up” should not be in our vocabulary.  We are to give our all in everything God leads us to do, remembering that our God is faithful and true and powerful enough to see us through.  Hezekiah’s life proves to us that it IS possible to live our lives this way and we need to learn from his example.


I hope you will join me in turning the corners and going over the hills that are in our future to see what is waiting for us.  Let’s seek our God and work wholeheartedly for Him.  I can’t promise that it will be easy, but I can promise you that it WILL be worth it!



Are you looking for a Bible study to do this summer?  Check out my YouTube channel, Image Seeker, at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0szlDSgNBtFuzzNLBWzwMA.  The entire study can be found there and you can watch it by yourself or with your small group.  Subscribe today so you won’t miss any new studies!

If you would like encouraging thoughts to help you in your daily walk with Jesus, check out and “Like” my Facebook page, “Image Seeker”…you can find it at https://www.facebook.com/Image-Seeker-109914611136211/news_feed.  

Andif you aren’t on Facebook but would still like to see encouraging posts and notices of new videos…”Follow” me on Instagram.  Just search for “The Image Seeker”


No comments:

Post a Comment