Monday, June 21, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: Sharing the Recipe

I was doing some organizing the other day and moved some of my cookbooks.  I probably own way more of them than I should…but I love trying new recipes and I find that church cookbooks usually have many tried and true concoctions that are worth making.  My biggest problem is that I try a new recipe and then forget to make note of it and when I want to make it again…I have no idea where it is 

In perusing some of these books, it wasn’t just the recipes that caught my attention, because on the second page of one of them was a saying which made me do some thinking.  It said:

A recipe that is not shared with others

will soon be forgotten,

but when it is shared

it will be enjoyed by future generations.

How true this is.  There have been many wonderful recipes which were lost somewhere down the line of descendants.  Grandma or even great grandma had creations that were loved by many…but were often just in their head and not on paper.  As a result, future generations are just told about the delicious dishes, but never get to experience them.    

This made me think about the recipes I have shared with others.  Without a doubt, every recipe I have ever shared has been one I love.  Each recipe has been one that I have made and really like its taste.  I can’t remember one time that I shared a recipe with a friend or family member and said, “Now I hated this recipe.  It just tastes awful and it made me feel like puking….but I thought you might want to try it.”  That would be ridiculous.  

No, I share a recipe because I love it.  I want to tell others how good it tasted and that it was well worth my time putting the ingredients together.  I want others to enjoy it just as much as I did and so I make the effort to copy down the ingredients and the instructions or I send the internet link to the website where it can be found.  I like the recipe enough to deem it worthwhile of my time to pass it on.  

Honestly, I had to shake my head as I thought about this these last few days.  I deem something as relatively unimportant as a recipe, worthy of my time to pass on.  But something such as my love for Christ, my knowledge of His dying for my sins and for the sins of my family and friends, and I’m sometimes too busy to pass it on.  I rationalize my laziness because I figure it is just too personal to let others know how I feel, and so I keep it to myself.  

As a result, the life I live will soon be forgotten.  When I pass on, there won’t be anything for others to remember about me that will make a difference in how they live.  The faith that I have, the passion I have for my Savior, will be lost in future generations because I didn’t care enough, or have the courage enough, to pass it on.  

Ahhhh, but if I DO share it with my family and friends and those whom I encounter, it WILL be enjoyed by future generations.  It WILL have an impact on the lives of those who will come after me and hopefully it WILL have an impact on eternity.  

You see, as Christians we hold the “recipe” for those who are lost…to be found in Christ.  But if we don’t share it with them, they may never know.  Our friends, our family, and those we meet each day deserve to know and so do all the generations yet to be born.  Let’s be intentional in the days to come to pass it on…so it will never be forgotten.


Are you looking for a Bible study to do this summer?  Check out my YouTube channel, Image Seeker, at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0szlDSgNBtFuzzNLBWzwMA.  The entire study can be found there and you can watch it by yourself or with your small group.  Subscribe today so you won’t miss any new studies!

If you would like encouraging thoughts to help you in your daily walk with Jesus, check out and “Like” my Facebook page, “Image Seeker”…you can find it at https://www.facebook.com/Image-Seeker-109914611136211/news_feed.  

And, if you aren’t on Facebook but would still like to see encouraging posts and notices of new videos…”Follow” me on Instagram.  Just search for “The Image Seeker”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment