Monday, July 5, 2021

Monday Morning Memo: Hand in Hand

In June, we had the privilege of having our two granddaughters (ages 2 and 4) spend a few days with us, and then this past week we were blessed to have our three grandsons (ages 2, 5 & 7) spend a couple days here.  I absolutely love spending time with all of them…but they sure do make me realize why we have our kids when we are young.  I don’t know if you have noticed…but young kids have way more energy than we have!

I love being a grandma.  People told me that it would be wonderful, but I couldn’t completely grasp how great it would be until I held our first grandchild.  He totally stole my heart and then each grandchild that has been added to our family since then, has done the same thing.  And, we are so excited to add yet another one in December and we know that he or she will make our heart swell once again!

One of the things I love to do is to hold the hand of these precious little ones.  It’s a very simple gesture…but I feel emotional every time I have the opportunity.  There is something about having his or her small hand in mine that makes me feel so blessed that I can have a part in their life.  I don’t take that opportunity lightly and I want to spend as much time with each one as I can, building a relationship that will last a lifetime.

I was reminded of this blessing last week when Ezra, age 2, reached out for my hand.  We had some men here doing some work for us and they were unknown to this young one.  As we walked closer to these men, Ezra gripped my hand tighter and tighter.  He wasn’t sure what he thought of them…but I think he knew that grandma would make sure he was safe.  I hope he never forgets that as long as I have breath…I will always be here for him. 

The practical positive of being hand in hand with them is that I am assured they are by my side.  As with most young ones, their legs often want to take them where they shouldn’t go…so if I have their hand in mine, I have more control of their path.  Even though they may not always think that is a good thing…I know it is in their best interest to stay by my side.

I was thinking about this recently when I was reading in Amos 3:3. It asks the question, “Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?”  I like the way this verse is worded in the version The Message, “Do two people walk hand in hand if they aren’t going to the same place?”  Of course, this is a rhetorical question that is easy to answer.  There is no way two people can walk hand in hand and go in two different directions.  It’s just not possible.  

This is so applicable to our walk with Christ.  If we are going to go on the path that He has planned for us, we must be willing to walk with Him; hand in hand.  When we let go and think we can walk on our own, problems often begin to arise, and we start to lose our way.  We need to realize that even when we don’t feel like walking with Him, it is imperative that we do it anyway, because it is always in our best interest to stay by His side. 

I can’t help but believe that Christ also gets emotional when we want to take His hand and walk with Him.  He loves us so much and wants to continually work on our relationship that will last beyond our lifetime. I know how much I love my children and grandchildren…but that doesn’t even hold a candle to the love that my heavenly Father has for me.  I don’t know about you, but that thought gives me chills… makes me feel so blessed… and makes me never want to let go of His hand.  And when the way gets a little scary…I don’t think He will mind if I squeeze His hand tighter and tighter…because I know with Him I will always be safe and He will always be here for me!

 

 “No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good,

    and this is what he requires of you:

to do what is right, to love mercy,

    and to walk humbly with your God.”

Micah 6:8



Are you looking for a Bible study to do this summer?  Check out my YouTube channel, Image Seeker, at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0szlDSgNBtFuzzNLBWzwMA.  The entire study can be found there and you can watch it by yourself or with your small group.  Subscribe today so you won’t miss any new studies!

If you would like encouraging thoughts to help you in your daily walk with Jesus, check out and “Like” my Facebook page, “Image Seeker”…you can find it at https://www.facebook.com/Image-Seeker-109914611136211/news_feed.  

And, if you aren’t on Facebook but would still like to see encouraging posts and notices of new videos…”Follow” me on Instagram.  Just search for “The Image Seeker”

 

2 comments:

  1. Love this. I will get to be with all 10 of our grandkids this summer and I share this sentiment, special and exhausting! Thank you for reminding me to make the most of the moments and hang on to the hand of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I hope you have a blessed time with all of them!

      Delete