Monday, November 28, 2022

Monday Morning Memo: Persistent Prayers

Thanksgiving is over and I enjoyed every minute.  Two of our children and their families joined us for the day and the only thing that could have made it more perfect would have been if our oldest daughter and her family could have been here too.  We ate, laughed and just enjoyed being together and I felt so very blessed.

 

With six of our grandchildren here (ranging from 11 months - 8 years old)…this grandma’s heart was bursting.  To hear them giggling…running through the house…and telling me story after story with eyes just a-dancin’…was such a blessing.  I soaked in every moment and so enjoyed just loving on them.  More than once I heard, “Grandma, I want to sit with you” and as a result, my lap was full with two and sometimes three young ones at the same time.  It was wonderful.

 

Since that day, I’ve realized I have neglected to do something for them that is really important.  Although I pray for them, I haven’t been praying for their future spouses on a regular basis.  I know that may sound rather crazy…praying for the person who will someday marry James (11 months old), Charlotte (3), Ezra (4), Emma (6), Ezekiel (6), Elias (8) and Kayden (17)…but that’s exactly what I did with my own children and it is important I also do it for my grandchildren.   I know that besides asking Jesus into their heart…choosing a life partner will be one of the most important decisions they will ever make.  So, if it is that crucial, I know that praying not only for them, but for their future spouse…needs to be a priority in my life.


I can’t put into words how amazing it was to watch Christ answer those prayers for each of our children.  We are blessed to have a Christian daughter-in-law and two Christian sons-in-law as a part of our family.  With each wedding, I thanked my Jesus over and over again for hearing my prayers and answering them in such a powerful way.  

 

Could He have worked all of this out without my years of praying?  Of course He could have.  But, I would have missed out on having a part in the entire process.   Oh, I learned so much over those years.  You see with each prayer…I fell just a little more in love with the future family member whom I didn’t even know.  I cared more and more for them as I prayed for their health, their protection, and above all, their relationship with Jesus.  I not only prayed for our child to become the Christ follower that he or she should be…but I lifted up their future mate…asking Jesus to draw them near to Him.  Then, as each spouse entered our family, I already loved them and felt like I had had a part in their lives…even if I hadn’t known who they were for many years.

 

If you are a parent or grandparent and aren’t praying for your children’s and grandchildren’s future mate…I want to urge you to begin doing so today.  Whether they are newborns or adults…praying for them and their future mate is one of the greatest gifts you will ever give them.  You may never know what your prayers have shielded them from or how they have been blessed by them…but I can attest to the fact that Christ will hear your prayers and will bless you for your persistent prayers.

 

“Never stop praying.”

1 Thessalonians 5:17




No comments:

Post a Comment