Monday, January 2, 2023

Monday Morning Memo: Open Hands

It’s hard to believe that 2023 has now begun.  During these first days of January, many will vow to turn over a new leaf; to begin doing something different than they did in 2022.  Whether it is a resolution to eat healthier, exercise more, spend more intentional family time, make it a priority to read their Bible every day etc., many will begin this year ready to do whatever it takes to see their plan accomplished.

 

I hate to be a “downer” as we begin this new year, but we all know that by February, many will have given up on their resolutions.  Many will decide that eating healthier food is just too expensive or takes too much time to prepare.  Quite a few will come to the realization that exercising on a regular basis doesn’t seem nearly as much fun as it did today.  Some will discover that spending more time with their family causes more stress than they thought it would and going out with their friends is much more relaxing.  And unfortunately, there will be those who decide that hitting the snooze button two more times sounds much more enjoyable than beginning the day with their Savior.

 

I was thinking about this the other day and I’ll be honest, I felt myself getting depressed.  The reason was that I was thinking about some of the things I know I need to change in 2023, but if I’m honest, I know I can easily be just like all the others who will give up within a few weeks.  Oh, my intentions are good, but my self-discipline is lacking and when the going gets tough…it’s easy for me to just quit going.  So, if I know I will likely give up on my resolution(s), maybe I just shouldn’t make any at all.


And then I read something that jumped off the page at me.  I recently purchased a book which was written in 2004 by David Jeremiah entitled, “31 Days to Happiness: Searching for Heaven on Earth” and I came across these words:

 

“How important it is, then, to keep God in the middle of our bank accounts, our possessions, and our portfolios.  Picture your hands out in front of you, cupped together, palms up.  In your open hands are all the things He has entrusted to you - money, cars, a home, furniture, everything.  All of this is His gift (James 1:17).  We are the stewards, and faithfulness is our charge.  That means our hands must never close over the gifts, but remain open so that He may use them as required - and refill our hands.”

 

I read and reread this paragraph and then I highlighted it.  I felt as if God was saying to me, “LuAnn, I just want your open hands in 2023.  I want your willingness to let me have full use of everything you have.  Stop clenching your fists…instructing me how you think I should use you.  Open up your hands and allow me to work in and through you as I see fit.”  I think that’s what God wants for me this year.  All He wants is my willingness and that will only happen if my hands are out in front of me…cupped together…palms up.



David Jeremiah then shared what will happen if I come to God in this way in the coming days.  He wrote:

 

“With open hearts and open hands, however, we understand that God lacks no resources and neither will we.  The more of Him we discover and enjoy, the more we find available.  Our hands joyfully open wider, and He gives from His infinitely generous heart.  It is not the gifts that bring the joy, but He Himself; the gifts are simply His creative expression in telling us how much He loves us.  And we agree with David: ‘You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore’” (Psalm 16:11).

 

It is with an open heart and open hands in which I will find joy this year.  How freeing it is to know that as I unclench my fists…He then can fill my hands with those things which are pleasing to Him.  Those things that can be used for His glory…and those things which can and will impact eternity.

 

How about you?  Are you starting this year…tightly clenching all you have been given?  I hope not.  My prayer is that you will join me as our hands are out in front…cupped together with our palms up.  Only then can 2023 be our best year ever as we allow Him to place those things in our hands that will bring Him the most glory and have the greatest impact in reaching those who desperately need our Savior.

Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us 

from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. 

He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.”

James 1:17

2 comments:

  1. Great reminder and by God’s Grace I will keep my hands open with palms up Thank you for sharing your hearts desire❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words :-). I'm so excited to see what God will place in our hands this year for HIS glory!

      Delete