Monday, April 17, 2023

Monday Morning Memo: White Knuckles

“Give it all to Jesus”.  “Let Him have the steering wheel of your life”.  “Don’t worry…don’t fret…God’s in control”.  “Do not fear…do not be anxious”.  Yep, I’ve heard them all…I’ve said them all.  And while I believe these statements with my whole heart…believing them and actually living them out…are often two different things.

This happened to me just a few days ago.  There was something happening that had my stomach in knots.  I have to be honest…I wasn’t feeling peace.  I was worried…I was fretting…I was anxious.  I kept reciting Philippians 4:6, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”  Trust me…I at least had the “present your requests to God” part mastered!

Then it happened.  I was mindlessly perusing on my computer and suddenly the words to a very familiar hymn popped up: 

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

I read the words and took in a huge breath.  I was being hit right between my eyes because I realized, once again, that I was forfeiting peace and carrying pain which I didn’t need to carry.  Is it normal to be concerned?  You bet it is.  But when it actually makes me feel sick to my stomach and I can’t even function…I have made the choice to go beyond concern.  

Oh, when will I learn?  I immediately asked Jesus to forgive me for trying to orchestrate this situation on my own and asked Him to please take control of the “wheel” of my life once again.  I’m so thankful that He loves me unconditionally and is always working on chiseling those areas of my life which aren’t pleasing to Him and keep me from looking like Him.  When I fall short…He picks me up and cleanses me anew.  I sure don’t deserve it…but His grace covers me anyway.

What about you?  Are you struggling right now with something that you need to give to Jesus?  Instead of letting Him carry it for you…are your knuckles white from gripping it too tightly?  If so, I hope you will also have this tune playing in your mind, causing you to realize you are forfeiting peace and carrying pain which you don’t need to carry.  He is just waiting for you to hand it over and allow Him to take you in His arms and give you peace…even in the storm.  Don’t ever forget that we have a friend in Him and He loves us more than we can even imagine.

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I needed to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. I think we all need to be reminded at times in our life :-)

    ReplyDelete