Monday, August 21, 2023

Monday Morning Memo: Light Bulb Moments

I love what I call a “Light Bulb Moment”.  It’s that moment when something you read, or something you hear begins to make sense.  It’s as if a light bulb comes on in your brain and you learn information you didn’t know before; or something you didn’t understand suddenly becomes comprehendible.  

As a writer and speaker, I believe my responsibility is to have what I share in print and what I speak from a pulpit cause my readers and listeners to have “Light Bulb Moments”.  I am to convey what God has laid on my heart in such a way that everyone can understand the point of which I write or speak.   I am passionate about what I share, and I desperately want to convey my thoughts in a way which makes you want to be passionate too.  Believe me, especially in the pulpit, it is usually fairly simple to see who is understanding and absorbing what I am saying and who has either tuned me out or even worse, decided to take their morning snooze!

But if a person doesn’t read what I have written or make a point to listen to my preaching, they aren’t going to understand what I am trying to convey and there is no way they will have a “Light Bulb Moment”.  Even if they read my books, receive my weekly devotional, or sit in a sanctuary where I am delivering the morning message, nothing new will be learned if they don’t act by either reading or listening.   It is impossible to just learn through osmosis; action must be taken.

I was thinking about this one day and I had a “Light Bulb Moment”.  It suddenly occurred to me that as difficult as it is for me to witness through my ministry when others won’t read or listen, how much more difficult must it be for our Savior when we neglect to read His Word and listen to His voice.   I often hear people say they just don’t know what they are supposed to do; they’re frustrated, lost and confused and really want some direction in their life.  But when they are asked if they are reading their Bible and spending time in prayer, their answer is often “No”.  Oh, they own a Bible and they sit in a sanctuary every Sunday, but effort is not made to open His Word and really listen to His servant share from the pulpit.  They often believe the Bible was written for people in the olden days and doesn’t relate to the trials and tribulations of today.

How that must bring pain to our Lord.  Here is someone who healed Simon Peter’s mother-in-law  (Mark 1:29-31), cleansed lepers  (Luke 17:11-19), restored a man’s withered hand  (Mark 3:1-6), restored sight to blind men  (Matthew 9:27-31), raised from the dead a widow’s son  (Luke 7:11-17), raised Lazarus from the dead  (John 11:1-44), calmed a storm on the Sea of Galilee  (Mark 4:35-41), fed 5000 people with five loaves of bread and two fish (Mark 6:32-44), forgave a prostitute  (John 8:11), and healed a woman who had been crippled for 18 years  (Luke 13:10-17).  What did He get in return for His compassion and love for those whom He met?  He was flogged with a lead-tipped whip  (Mark 15:15), stripped of his clothes (Matt. 27:28), crowned with thorns (Matt. 27:29), mocked and taunted  (Matt. 27:29), spit on and hit in the head with a stick (Matt. 27:30), nailed to a cross  (Matt. 27:35) and speared in His side (John 19:34).

Does this sound like someone who wouldn’t understand the trials and frustrations you are going through today?  I think not.  But for you to fully comprehend how much He cares for you; to fully grasp the magnitude of what He has done for you; and to fully realize where He wants to lead you in the days ahead, you must take action.  You must open His Word and listen to His voice.  It’s impossible to have “Light Bulb Moments” if you aren’t intentional in getting to know Him.

Have you lost your way and aren’t sure what path to take?

 

“Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.”

Psalm 119:105

 

Do you have a feeling of hopelessness?

 

“You are my refuge and my shield; 

your word is my source of hope.”

Psalm 119:114

 

Do you feel like the Bible is too hard to comprehend?

 

 “The teaching of your word gives light, 

so even the simple can understand.” 

Psalm 119:130

 

Do you feel like Christ’s words really weren’t meant for you?

 

“My child, listen to me and do as I say, 

and you will have a long, good life.

I will teach you wisdom’s ways and lead you in straight paths.”

Proverbs 4:10-11

 

Do you feel like the Bible isn’t relevant in 2023?

 

 “For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow.

 It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.” 

Hebrews 4:12

 

Is that a glow I see in your head?  I sure hope so…because there isn’t anything much better than a “Light Bulb Moment”!

No comments:

Post a Comment