Monday, November 27, 2023

Monday Morning Memo: What is Your Worth?

My husband and I enjoy checking out secondhand stores and antique stores when we travel.  One thing we have observed over the years, is that the items have changed.  When we first began looking, the antiques were pieces which our grandparents used to use.  Somewhere down the line, the items were from our parents’ era and now we have realized, we are looking at things WE used to own!  If you want to feel like an antique yourself, just start checking out these types of stores.

The funny part of it is that neither of us knows much of anything about antiques.  When we look at a priced item, we have no idea whether it is a bargain or overpriced.  We just go strictly on its appearance and whether we like it.  One thing we do know is with most of the precious relics that we see, the older the item the more valuable it is.  In other words, as each piece ages, it becomes more priceless and its worth climbs.

Also, the condition it is in affects its worth.  If it has been well taken care of throughout the years, you can expect to pay more, because its condition makes it worth it.  But each piece needs to be thoroughly checked out because what you see at first may be misleading until all its parts are inspected.  

I’ve been thinking about how much my walk with Christ should be like an antique.  As I age, I should become more and more valuable.  Now, before you think I am sounding arrogant, let me explain.  I don’t think I should become more valuable for me…but for Christ.  On my own, I am worth nothing, unless I look more like Him as I get older.  I should be doing more and more for Him, serving Him to the fullest every day.  When others see me, they should be able to “inspect” my life and see that I am genuine in every way and not just an imposter attempting to look like a follower of Christ.

One thing we need to remember though is that just getting older doesn’t mean we will automatically have more value.  I have met people who have had the attitude that just because they are older, they somehow, I guess through osmosis, have become a stronger disciple.  They haven’t spent time in the Bible or listened to Christ’s direction, they have just relied on the fact that they have walked this earth longer than others.  I think it is such a shame that they are so misinformed.  They are missing out on a life which could be worth so much more and have a much greater impact on eternity.

So, my question today is…what is your worth?  As each day goes by, are you becoming more valuable or are you just becoming a better imposter?  Is your life having an impact on eternity or are your age spots all you have to show for your additional candles on your birthday cake?  It is a given that as long as we are breathing, each of us will age so we might as well make sure we are taking really good care of the life Christ has given us.  He already paid a very dear price for this antique body of ours, by dying on a cross so we could live with Him forever.  Let’s make sure our life is an antique whose worth grows as we strive to make an impact on eternity.  That will only occur as we share with others the Good News of the wonderful grace of our God!

“But my life is worth nothing to me 

unless I use it for finishing the work 

assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work 

of telling others the Good News 

about the wonderful grace of God.”

Acts 20:24

No comments:

Post a Comment