Monday, August 12, 2024

Monday Morning Memo: Holy Ground

Well, I had planned to begin a several part “study” today on my blog…but then yesterday morning happened.  Since then, I haven’t been able to shake those moments…so I will share them with you.

 

They are moments which, if I’m honest, I’m not proud of.  Let me give you a little background.  As most of you know I’ve been doing a lot of “recovering” this year due to two surgeries.  The first surgery at the end of February caused me to miss ten Sundays of going to church because the pain was just too high.  For someone who looks forward to Sunday all week long…missing those Sundays was pure torture.

 

Then at the end of June, surgery number two happened and the need to stay home returned again.  I was so determined to return to worshipping with my brothers and sisters in Christ much sooner this time…but due to some “hiccups” in my recovery…yesterday was week seven of spending Sundays at home.

 

So there I was yesterday morning…in my bathroom…sitting on my knee cart (pain keeps me from standing while I get ready)…feeling sorry for myself.  Truthfully, I was sulking.  “Why me Lord?  Why in the world am I still home on a Sunday when I so desperately want to be in church?  Lord, there are lots of people who could go to church but make the choice not to go…and here I am…begging to be able to go and I can’t.  Lord, this isn’t fair!”  It wasn’t a pretty sight.

 

Then, I felt Christ whisper, “Holy Ground”.  I thought it was a strange thing to hear, especially since I was sitting in my bathroom, but once again, “Holy Ground”.  At that point, I began to sing the song, Holy Ground, and as I did…tears began to fall, and it wasn’t long until I was sobbing (possibly because my singing was so bad!).  I then grabbed my phone and went to YouTube to find this song to listen to and somehow, on my screen, the words, “Holy Ground Devotional” popped up.  I clicked on it, and I felt like Christ was speaking right to me.  It said, “Holy Ground is no longer a place, it’s the Person of Christ living in and through us and He changes everything.”  Then, at the end of the devotional was this prayer, “Thank you that holy ground is not a place but a position – being found in you, Jesus, and you in me through the Spirit.  Let my heart be one in awe of you, burning for you, and changed by you.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.”  And the tears flowed once again.

 

Later in the afternoon, I was listening to music online and in the middle of this time…guess what song was played.  Holy Ground.  When God has a message to give you…He always wants to make sure you get the point ;-) 

 

Friend, I needed to be reminded that if Christ lives in me…it doesn’t matter where I am…I am on holy ground.  Christ’s presence is with me, and I can worship Him, hear from Him, learn from Him and I can bask in His glory …even in my bathroom or laying in my recliner.

 

Are you feeling left out today?  Maybe you are in the same situation that I am and for physical reasons you are unable to attend church or do much of anything else because of your restrictions.  Maybe you are okay physically, but your spouse has forbidden you to attend church on Sundays and your heart aches to be there.  Maybe you could attend church, but the last time you went someone hurt you and you are still dealing with the pain of damaging words.  I want you to know that I am so sorry.  The people of a church don’t always behave the way they should.  They are sinners, saved by grace, just like me and you…and we all can do and say things at times which hurt others to their core.  Again…I am sorry.

 

No matter what your circumstances and feelings are today…remember that wherever you are…you are on holy ground.  If Christ is living in and through you…that changes everything!  That makes where you are standing or sitting right now…holy ground.  You can worship and hear and learn from Him right where you are at this very moment.  

 

I just want to say one more thing.  If you can attend church…but aren’t because of past hurts…please remember that the church is not a building.  The church is made up of non-perfect people who unfortunately, don’t always do a good job of representing Christ.  We are all a work in progress, and I don’t say that to excuse the hurts you have felt because I know those feelings are real and they run deep.  Trust me…I’ve been there.  But please…don’t give up on the body of Christ.  Keep searching for a group of believers whom you can do life with, worship with and serve with.  Believe me…it’s worth the search :-). 

 

“Father, thank you for loving me, with all my faults and failures.  Thank you for holding me in your arms during those times when I am discouraged and feel the need to sulk.  And Father, thank you for not leaving me to dwell in those moments, but lifting me up and reminding me that I am on holy ground with You.  Let my heart be one in awe of you, burning for you, and changed by you.  Amen.”

 

HOLY GROUND CHORUS    

We are standing on holy ground
For I know that there are angels all around
Let us praise Jesus now
For we are standing in His presence on holy ground

2 comments: