Monday, August 24, 2026

Monday Morning Memo: Worship


What do you think of when you hear the word “worship”?  If we look the word up for a definition…we will find:  to honor or show reverence for a divine being or supernatural power or to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion.  

 

To be honest, when I hear this word…that’s not the first thing I think of.  I immediately think of a set time on Sunday mornings when I attend a worship service.  So, I think of more of a set routine…instead of the action of worship.  Of course, I do worship God while I’m there…it’s just not the first thing that comes to my mind.  

 

I got to thinking about this recently when I was working in my kitchen.  I happened to be home alone and I had several things that needed done.  Oftentimes, I listen to a local Christian radio station while I work…but on this particular day I decided to tell “Alexa” to play the Gaither Vocal Band Radio station.  Song after song started playing:

 

Come, Jesus Come

What a Friend We Have in Jesus

Because He Lives

In The Garden

Glorify Thy Name

Lord, I’m Coming Home

I Love You, Lord

Standing on Holy Ground…and the list went on and on…

 

As I listened to these songs…I began to feel God’s presence in such a powerful way in my kitchen.  It was as if He was right beside me and I was standing on holy ground. As I listened, I felt overwhelmed with emotion.  There were moments when I stopped what I was doing and raised my hands in worship…with tears in my eyes…giving praise to God through the songs.  

 

As I reflected on this later that day…I was reminded that I don’t need to wait until Sunday morning to worship.  I have the privilege of worshipping my Savior at any time and in any place.  I don’t need to be in a certain building…sitting in a pew…being led by a worship leader.  Now, I thoroughly enjoy worshipping with my brothers and sisters in Christ in our church…but I’m missing out on so much if that’s the only time during my week when I spend time praising Him.

 

You see, it’s not the location that makes the difference…it’s the condition of my heart.  If I will open my heart to be in tune with God’s promptings…I can feel His presence no matter where I am.

 

What about you?  When was the last time you truly worshipped?  If you aren’t involved in a local congregation…I want to urge you to make it a priority to find one.  Hebrews 10:25 reminds us, “And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage oneanother, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near”.  Worshipping with my church family helps set the tone for my entire week and I really miss it if I’m not there.

 

But remember that you don’t have to wait to be in a building to lift praise to God.  Read His Word…listen to Christian radio…spend time in prayer.  He IS right there beside you…no matter where you are…and you can have a sweet time of worship regardless of your surroundings!

No comments:

Post a Comment