Monday, April 11, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Totally Undeserved

Throughout my life, I have been given things I haven’t deserved.  I was born into a free country, to Christian parents who loved me along with a brother and sister that I wouldn’t trade for the world.  Many, many people did not enter this world with the same circumstances.

I met and married a Christian man who loves the Lord and also loves me with all my faults and failures.  I have seen his love in action towards me many times when my health hit another low and I was unable to care for myself.  He has stuck by me and loved me when I have been unlovable.  Many, many people have had their spouse walk out on them in far less serious situations. 

I was abundantly blessed with three children who grew up to love and serve the Lord, despite my imperfect parenting.  I then had my prayers answered when we welcomed a Christian son-in-law and daughter-in-law into our family.  Many, many people have had broken hearts when they were not able to conceive or have had to watch their wayward children choose a much different path than had hoped for them.

I have been given the unbelievable honor of being the grandma to two most precious grandsons and look so forward to welcoming a granddaughter in July.  Words cannot express the joy in my heart when the oldest grandson’s face lights up when he sees me and yells “Gammaw!” and comes running.  Or when he says “I wuv you” when I say goodbye or put him to bed.  Many, many people yearn for having this treasured privilege.

I was blessed with a wonderful father-in-law and mother-in-law.  They accepted me as their own from the first day we met and I immediately became their daughter.  Many, many people share horror stories of in-laws that have made their life miserable.

I have been beyond blessed with the most amazing friends in the world.  I have sisters in Christ who I can share everything with…the good, the bad and yes, even the ugly.  I know that at any time of the day or night, if I need someone to pray or just to listen to me vent, they are there for me.  At a recent precious time with some of them, I shared a struggle with which I was dealing.  The next thing I knew, they were surrounding me, laying hands on me, and praying for God to intervene and give me peace. I can be real with them and they still love me.  Many, many people feel that they don’t have even one friend who will stand by them through thick and thin.

I worship with my brothers and sisters in Christ in a church that is prayer-driven.  I have a pastor who shares from the pulpit each Sunday words that don’t tickle my ears…but make me want to live a more Spirit-filled life.  Being able to worship and serve beside these people, helps me in my desire to look more like Christ because they have often been Jesus “with skin on” to me.  Many, many people have yet to find a place where God is glorified and their soul is strengthened on a regular basis.

I don’t know what your “story” is.  I don’t know if you could also list a number of things that you have been given that you don’t deserve, just like I did.  But no matter what has occurred in my life or in yours, everything pales in comparison to the greatest opportunity that we have all been given.  Above all else, all of us have been given the opportunity to accept Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior.  He came to this earth to die on a cross for you and for me, so that we can have eternal life with Him.  This, just like all the other things we may list, is something we don’t deserve.  There isn’t anything that we can do to “earn” the blessings we have received, nor can we do a list of “works” to earn our salvation.  We don’t deserve it, plain and simple.  Yet He has given it to us because He loves us that much.  The only thing we have to do is accept Him into our heart and let Him direct our paths.

I so appreciate my pastor because he doesn’t preach each Sunday just to tell me things that will make me feel good.  He cares enough about his flock to share with us what the Bible says about allowing Christ to be our Lord and what it looks like to walk with Him every day.  I feel the same way.  Time is short and this world we live in seems to be coming unhinged and it is important that I don’t shy away from telling the truth to my readers.

No matter your past…no matter your present…nothing you have done, good or bad, will get you into heaven or keep you from getting in.  You can’t just be “good enough” to spend your eternity with Jesus.  The only way you can go to heaven is to ask Jesus Christ to forgive you of your sins and accept Him as your Lord and Savior.  I’ve heard people say that a loving God would not send anyone to Hell and that is right.  He won’t send any of us to Hell…it will be our own choice…whether we accept Him or not…that will send us to either Heaven or Hell.

Today I want to urge you; in fact I want to plead with you to accept Christ now if you haven’t already done so.  I so want to spend eternity with you in Heaven and none of us are promised tomorrow, so it is imperative that you make this decision before it is too late.  If you have questions, or if I can help you in any way, please let me know.  What Christ has to offer you and me is totally underserved…but it is because He loves us so much.  He died and rose again to give us what we don’t deserve…let’s not turn our back on His precious gift of eternal life with Him.

“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn’t go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person’s failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.”
John 3:16-18 The Message




No comments:

Post a Comment