Monday, May 23, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: The Small "Talk Box"

I was thinking recently about the olden days….when we didn’t have cell phones.  We would set the answering machine when we left home (that is, if we remembered to) and would check it when we returned.  In the meantime, no one could get ahold of us unless they somehow tracked us down.  People just understood that they would have to wait for us to call them back once we listened to their message.

I remember when my husband first said that he thought we should have a cell phone.  Since we owned a mobile catering service, he felt it would be a huge asset to have a phone in case he or one of our employees needed help while they were on the road.  I was dead set against it.  While I agreed with his logic, all I could envision was being interrupted when we weren’t at home.  Our home phone rang often since our business line also rang in our house and the last thing I wanted was to have to listen to more ringing when we were gone. 

I eventually gave in and we purchased our first cell phone.  It was huge and the reception wasn’t the best, but we had finally entered the mobile world.  I soon realized what an asset it was to those in our business and it wasn’t long before we had quite a few cell phones on our plan.  And yes, the day finally arrived when I had my very own mobile device.

Fast forward now quite a few years later…and I feel lost if I don’t have my cell phone with me.  I’m so used to carrying it that when I do forget it at home, I’m always wondering if someone is trying to call or text me and waiting for my answer.  If I’m honest, I know I am way too dependent on that mobile device and I need to work hard on loosening my grip on it.

I came across this graphic the other day and at first it made me chuckle…and then it made me think.  I started asking myself if I am as diligent on making sure my prayer life is always connected, as I am making sure my cell phone is charged and ready for use.  I check my phone often to make sure the battery life will get me through the day…but it is easy to forget that my true Power Source, God, never needs charged and can never be misplaced or left behind.  He is always available…never “out of area”…and never even needs upgraded to the latest model!  I can always be plugged in to His power seven days a week, 24 hours a day.  Every day…every hour…He is willing to communicate with me.  I never get a busy signal or have to leave a message.  It always blows my mind to think that the Creator of the universe wants to be in continual conversation with me!

I wonder what would happen this week if every time I reached for my phone, I would stop and breathe a prayer of thankfulness to God for His power that is available to me.  I wonder if it would help me keep my focus on Him when life seems to be swirling around me.  If nothing else, maybe it would help remind me that He is always the constant in my life…the One who never changes and is always available to recharge me…instead of me needing to recharge Him.  And maybe, just maybe, it would help me be much more intent on keeping the lines of communication open with Him, instead of relying so heavily on the small “talk box” in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment