Monday, May 9, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Spring Cleaning

It’s that time of year again.  I love Spring because I know it leads to Summer which is my favorite time of year.  But the negative to this time of year are the dreaded words, “spring cleaning”.  I know it needs to be done but I have a hard time getting motivated to start. 

My mother-in-law was an amazing spring cleaner when they lived in their own home.  Every inch of each wall and baseboard were washed…every shelf dusted…and every cabinet was not only cleaned out and reorganized but the outside shone when she was done.  I get tired just thinking about how hard she worked.  

So last week when I went to get something out of a drawer and realized it possessed way more items in it than was necessary, I decided to straighten it so that I could at least say I had started cleaning.   But something occurred that often happens when I start a project such as this…I got distracted.  I came across a piece of paper that had two quotes written on it and that of course got my wheels turning which in turn helped diminish my desire to spring clean (yes I know, it doesn’t take much J). 

The first one I heard in a sermon years ago and I have written about it before.  It was:

“You worship what you ultimately prioritize.”

I haven’t been able to get these words out of my mind since I came across them again.  My thoughts went to the fact that many people, if asked what their idols are in their life, would say that they don’t have any.  They immediately think of the graven images that we read about so often in the Bible and are quick to say that this doesn’t pertain to them. 

But yet, if we were honest, there may be other things in our life that take priority in our schedule.  These things may not be made of gold and sitting on our mantle, but the choices and decisions we make shows what is of greatest importance to us.  Oftentimes, a perusal of our checkbook or of our credit card statement, paints a picture of what we are worshipping.

The irony is that those things that may be taking time out of our schedule…or sucking money from our bank account…may be good things.  They may not be sinful things at all, but it is important that we ask ourselves whether what we are spending the majority of our time seeking, is what God desires for us.  If it isn’t, then it doesn’t matter how wonderful are actions are or what marvelous things we may accomplish with our finances, they are our idols and are what we are worshipping in place of God.  Our greatest pleasure needs to come from Him.

As we go throughout this next week, let’s make a point of evaluating those things of which we are spending our time and money.  Let’s ask ourselves if what we have planned is really what God wants us to do or if our focus has turned inward.  As we fill our schedule or spend our money, let’s take a moment to consider if God would be in favor of our itinerary or our purchases.  He may tell us we are right on track…or that we need to realign our priorities.

Once we make sure our priorities are where they should be, we will be able to consider the second quote I came across last week.  But you will have to stay tuned for that one because the first quote already took too much of my spring cleaning time!  Hopefully I will be able to stay a little more focused this week as I make worshipping and following Him my priority!

 “But seek first the kingdom of God
and his righteousness,
and all these things will be added to you.”
Matthew 6:33


“You shall have no other gods before me.”

Exodus 20:3

No comments:

Post a Comment