Monday, May 2, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Take It To The Bank

If you have read my book, you know that in one of the chapters I share the story of a tragic event in my life.  Here is an excerpt:

“On a recent evening, I decided it was time to cover up the ever multiplying “silver” follicles (silver sounds so much more attractive than gray)!  I went through my normal routine, making sure every hair was covered.  I waited the allotted time and then rinsed it out.  I wrapped a towel around my head and proceeded to the mirror to comb out my hair.  Life was good until I took the towel off. 

To say my reflection in the mirror was shocking is an understatement.  I have been a blonde since I was born and I had no intention of changing that fact.  But what I saw was not blonde hair; it was dark brown.  My mouth dropped open, my eyes grew wide and I suddenly felt sick to my stomach.  My first thought was that maybe it would look lighter when it was dry, so I quickly grabbed my hairdryer and frantically dried my hair.  Unfortunately, I was still a brunette.

Panic set in at that point and I grabbed the box of hair color, which verified what I figured; I had incorrectly purchased medium brown instead of medium blonde.”

OK…so maybe it wasn’t a true tragic event…but it sure had my heart pumping for a while.  I basically fell apart that night and thought my life was over; all because of the color of my hair.

As the result of that evening, I now go to a salon to have my hair colored and this past week I did just that.  Now I am a very fortunate woman because I have two sister-in-laws that are beauticians and both of them are awesome at their profession.  Since one of them, Beth, lives in the same town that I do, I frequent her shop and so I set an appointment for 10:00 am last Thursday.

The night before, Beth texted to say that she needed to move my appointment to noon because they had received word that the water would be turned off in the morning.  Since water is crucial for hair coloring, she thought it best to wait until the pipes were flowing with H2O.

I arrived at noon, the water was back on and Beth proceeded to cover my strands with the correct color.  When she was done I moved to another chair so she could cut my friend’s hair while I processed.  When she went to wash Janet’s hair and pulled on the knob…you guessed it…no water came out.  For a few seconds, shear terror filled Beth’s face.  She immediately ran outside to ask the men who were working what was going on and their answer wasn’t what she wanted to hear.  They had hit a main pipe and had no idea when they would get the water back on.

That, my friend, isn’t what you want to hear when you have color processing on your hair.  Yes, I wanted my roots to look better, but I also wanted hair left on my head!  But I can honestly say, it didn’t ruffle me in the least.

Why?  Because I know Beth.  Beth is the type of person you want in your corner when things need to get done.  She immediately flew into action and went to work finding containers she could fill using the water from their water cooler.  Knowing that water would be rather cold…she went over to the Keurig and started heating water that could be added to make it much more comfortable for me.  When the timer went off, telling us that my hair was processed, she was ready and able to rinse the color out and everything was A-OK.

I didn’t fall apart in this situation like I did when I made the error at home, because I knew that I had someone there that was very capable of handling the circumstances we were in.  I knew that I could “take it to the bank” that Beth wouldn’t let my hair fry and that she would solve our dilemma.

After this happened, I got to thinking about how wonderful it is that as Christians, we have Someone who can handle EVERY situation that we find ourselves in.  No matter what happens…no matter what detour we face…Jesus is there to take care of us.  We have no reason to fret and stew and worry because nothing is a surprise to Him.

I don’t know what you are facing today.  You may have a mountain ahead of you that seems un-climbable.   You may have been given a diagnosis that has shaken you to the core.  Your spouse may have just told you they want out of your marriage or your child may be choosing a path that is making your heart heavy.  You may be fighting depression and the dark clouds are encompassing you.   Whatever situation you find yourself in…Jesus was already there before you arrived.  Nothing you are facing has Him nervous…nothing has Him shaken…nothing has Him shocked.  He knew every detail before you did and He is capable of handling your circumstances and seeing you through the darkest valley.  He’s got this covered and that my friend, you can “take to the bank”! 

“Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
Matthew 11:28-29

“He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.  Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion.  But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.  They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.”
Isaiah 40:29-31

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment