Monday, June 6, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Taming My Unibrow

Dan and I were blessed with a fun, relaxing weekend at our daughter’s in North Carolina.  She loves living in this beautiful state…but we sure miss having her close to us.  So it is always a treat to be able to spend time with her.

Erica enjoys hiking on Saturday mornings in the state park close to her home, so we were thrilled to be able to do that with her.  It was a warm day in the 90’s, but knowing that a little sweat never hurt anyone, we climbed in our truck and headed for the trail.  I love being outside and enjoying the beauty in nature and our views on Saturday didn’t disappoint.  God’s creation was all around us and I felt blessed to be able to experience it with two people I dearly love.

We made the wise decision that a shower was probably needed following the 4 ½ mile adventure and before we could continue our day.  So after we did what was necessary to make it possible to be around others, we took off for lunch at Moe’s to refuel us.  Good food and good conversation made a great day even better. 

We had already decided what would be on our agenda following lunch.  We knew we would do something that I do every time I visit Erica.  It is something that I have never done at home, but always make a point to get accomplished when I’m in North Carolina.  Erica directed us to an area business where I got my eyebrows threaded.

I realize that there may be some of you who have no idea what eyebrow threading is.  In threading, a thin thread is doubled, and then twisted. It is then rolled over areas of unwanted hair, plucking the hair at the follicle level. Unlike tweezing, where single hairs are pulled out one at a time, threading can remove short lines of hair.  There are lots of people who think this is a sadistic form of torture, but I enjoy it.  I have been “blessed” with very heavy eyebrows and it takes time and effort to keep them from being a unibrow.  The problem is that I don’t often take the time to keep them under control and so it makes me feel so good when I can get them cleaned up and shaped in just a few minutes.  The thing is that even though it seems like it at times, my eyebrows don’t get out of control overnight.  It happens gradually…one hair at a time.  If I would just make sure and take care of the unwanted strands as they appear, it wouldn’t be such a major chore to get them shaped up.  But unfortunately, I tend to ignore the signs until it’s a rather major task to get them shaped and contoured.

This makes me think of what happens when sin begins to creep into my life.  It usually doesn’t occur overnight or show itself in grand fashion.  It usually presents itself in small ways in the beginning and it’s easy to overlook it and think it isn’t a big deal. The problem with that is that those small “insignificant” sins begin to add up and before I know it, sin has taken over and it takes a much bigger effort on my part to get things cleaned up.  God is able and willing to forgive me no matter what I’ve done…but then I often have to deal with the consequences of those things that I have allowed to creep in that have gone against His plan for my life. 

Hopefully as I grow in Christ, I will be more intentional on squelching sin just as soon as it rears its ugly head, instead of allowing it to slowly infiltrate my life.  Just as it feels good to I have my unibrow tamed once again…it feels even better when my heart is clean and in tune with God’s will.  But I know I have to be willing to take the time each and every day to follow His leading and make the choices He would want me to make.  I know by doing that, my life will be much easier in the days and weeks to come because I won’t have to clean up the consequences of my neglect.


No comments:

Post a Comment