Monday, June 13, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Worth The Cost

I received some interesting comments from my readers concerning my post last week about my unibrow.  Some were amazed that I would admit such a thing on the internet for the world to read…where it is “forever archived and never completely deleted”…as one of my followers so eloquently penned J Well, I figure you either like me or you don’t…but regardless… I hope you know that you will always get the truth from me and complete honesty…unibrow and all!

So I might as well go a step further this week and share with you some startling information.  I don’t like to shop.  There…I’ve gotten that out in the open.  I’ve told that tidbit of information to people, especially other women, and they have looked at me like I had horns.  I know…I’m not a normal woman (I’m sure some of you who know me well will second that fact!).  It is torture for me to have to go on a quest for things to buy.  I can think of many other things that I would rather be doing than shopping…any kind of shopping but especially clothes shopping.

As a result…you won’t often see me in a variety of different outfits.  If I find something I like…I usually wear it until it isn’t wearable (much to the chagrin of my children…and sometimes even my husband).  Unfortunately though, clothes don’t last forever so the day eventually comes when new items are needed and I have to push myself to visit establishments that sell clothing.  This past week I had to do just that.

I realized when I returned home that it was time to clean out my closet and get rid of those items that were past their prime.  I’m smart enough to know that if those gems are left in my closet…I will resort back to wearing the old tried and true garments that have served me well.  My husband teases me that I still have clothes that I wore in Jr. High and I wish that were true…because it would mean I was still the same size as I was back then and regrettably I am not!

If I’m honest, I think I am this way because I don’t like change.  If my clothes are comfortable and still cover the parts of my body that need covered…I’m fine…even if they aren’t the latest fashion.  I’m the same way in my home.  Until this past year when we did some remodeling…I had had the same pictures and decorations on my walls for years.  I like things to stay the same and having to push myself out of my comfort zone to make changes…just doesn’t make me feel comfortable.

Unfortunately, we are living in a rapidly changing world and I don’t like that either.  I want things to be as they were years ago when God was still someone that most people believed in and revered.  As I shared a couple weeks ago, “The day is here my friends where it isn’t only the soldiers that serve our country who need to be brave, but we also, as Christians, need to be brave.  Our religious freedoms are being taken away, and we need to be willing to stand up for what we know to be the truths given to us by our Lord and Savior.  It will not be easy and it won’t be the popular thing to do, but it is what we have been called to do.”

To be willing to stand up for what I know to be truth…means I will have to make changes.  I will have to be willing to step out of my comfort zone to do whatever God calls me to do to reach as many people as I can for Him.  I can’t just sit around and enjoy being comfortable while I hope someone else is loving and caring and sharing God’s Word with the lost.

Our pastor shared this quote yesterday morning from Charles Spurgeon and it really spoke to me, “If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our dead bodies. And if they perish, let them perish with our arms wrapped about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go unwarned and unprayed for.”

I don’t know about you, but this is something I want said of me.  I want to be willing to sacrifice, whatever the cost, to make sure those with whom I come in contact don’t spend their eternity in Hell.  If my loved one was heading towards something on this earth that I knew was going to deeply hurt them, I know I would do everything in my power to stop them from going in that direction.  I wouldn’t care how I looked…wouldn’t care what I would have to give up…wouldn’t care how much I would have to change my lifestyle to hopefully keep them safe.  It would be worth whatever the cost.

How much more urgent should our actions be when we know that many around us have not accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior?  They will not just experience pain on this earth…but they will spend eternity in Hell.  We have to do everything we can…imploring them to accept Him while they still can.   Time is short…the cost is high…and our comfort shouldn’t be our focus.  And I firmly believe it will be worth the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment