Monday, July 18, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Hand in Hand

I shared with you last week that we were anxiously awaiting the arrival of our granddaughter.  Well…we are still waiting!  She is taking her time entering this world and so we are learning another lesson in patience J

I love being a grandma.  People told me that it would be wonderful but I couldn’t completely grasp how great it would be until I held our first grandson.  He totally stole my heart and then his brother did the same thing less than two years later.  So I am confident that when Emma decides to make her appearance…she will also make this grandma’s heart swell and I will be totally and completely in love once again!

One of the things that makes my heart melt is when Elias, our oldest grandson, takes my hand when we are walking together.  It’s a very simple gesture…but I feel emotional every time he does it.  There is something about having his small hand in mine that makes me feel so blessed that I am able to have a part in his life.  I don’t take that opportunity lightly and I want to spend as much time with him as I can, building a relationship that will last a lifetime.

The practical positive of being hand in hand with him is that I am assured he is by my side.  As with most two year olds, his legs want to often take him where he shouldn’t go…so if I have his hand I have more control as to his path.  Even though he may not always think that is a good thing…I know it is in his best interest to stay by my side.

I was thinking about this recently when I was reading in Amos 3:3.  It asks the question, “Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?”  I like the way this verse is worded in the version The Message, “Do two people walk hand in hand if they aren’t going to the same place?”  Of course this is a rhetorical question that is easy to answer.  There is no way two people can walk hand in hand and go in two different directions.  It’s just not possible. 

This is so applicable to our walk with Christ.  If we are going to go on the path that He has planned for us, we must be willing to walk with Him; hand in hand.  When we let go and think we can walk on our own…is usually when problems begin to arise and we start to lose our way.  We need to realize that even when we don’t feel like walking with Him, it is imperative that we do it anyway, because it is always in our best interest to stay by His side.

I just can’t help but believe that Christ also gets emotional when we want to take His hand and walk with Him.  He loves us so much and wants to continually work on our relationship that will last beyond our lifetime. I know how much I love my children and grandchildren…but that doesn’t even hold a candle to the love that my heavenly Father has for me.  I don’t know about you…but that thought gives me chills, makes me feel so blessed, and makes me never want to let go of His hand.

 “No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good,
    and this is what he requires of you:
to do what is right, to love mercy,
    and to walk humbly with your God.”

Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment