Monday, September 5, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Blessing The Laborers

Well today is Labor Day, which is a sure sign that summer is coming to an end.  UGH.  I have so enjoyed this summer and have soaked in every warm, sunny day that we have had and I’m praying that we have many more before the snow flies!

Labor Day is a day when we honor the American worker; those people who work hard day in and day out to keep this world of ours moving forward.  Everywhere we look, we see laborers who are faithfully doing their job to the best of their ability.  Yes, I’m not naïve enough to think that everyone is doing their very best and working their hardest…but I don’t want to dwell today on those who choose to do just enough to get by.

I want us to turn our thoughts to those with whom we come in contact, who are obviously giving their all to bloom where God has planted them.  It doesn’t matter whether they are a cashier, a salesperson, a teacher, a lawyer, a ditch-digger, a stay-at-home parent or a doctor…they get up each morning determined to follow God’s plan for their day.  Even when they aren’t employed at their dream job…they still do their best…working as if God was their boss.

It is so important that we recognize and appreciate these workers today on Labor Day and in the days to come.  Some people give their all in everything that they do…but never have anyone notice and I find that really sad.  It is easy to become so busy in our day that we overlook those whom God has placed in our path that need an encouraging word.  

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if, as we go throughout each day, we were intentional in praising those we see?  It doesn’t have to take a lot of our time; sometimes just a simple, heartfelt “thank-you” is appropriate.  Maybe it is just asking the cashier how he or she is before they can say anything to us.  Maybe it is writing our child’s teacher a note, thanking he or she for all they do to instruct our loved one.  Maybe it is taking the time to tell our spouse how much we appreciate all they do each day to make our lives easier. 

The list of those we can encourage is endless.  The key is that we have to be intentional; otherwise opportunities will be missed.  The amazing thing is that as we lift the spirits of others, we will also be blessed.  The reason is that we can’t out give God…so as we deliberately strive to bless others…we will be blessed in return. 
So let me begin by thanking all of you, my readers, for the love, support and encouragement you have shown me.  I am so humbled that you take your valuable time to read my ramblings.  Some of you I know quite well and there are others that I have never met.  Regardless, you have blessed me immeasurably and my prayer is that God will shower you with HIS blessings as you continue on your journey with HIM!

Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy, for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now. And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.”

Philippians 1:3-6

No comments:

Post a Comment