Monday, August 29, 2016

Monday Morning Memo: Blessed To Stink!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue
Sometimes I stink
How about you?

Isn’t THAT a great way to start your week?  As I’ve told you before…sometimes really strange things ramble through my head and often times…they end up on paper (or in my blog…as in this case)!

I have stunk a lot recently and believe it or not…I couldn’t have been more thrilled.  We have been in Tennessee for the past week and have spent many hours hiking through the Smokey Mountains.  Since the temperatures have hovered around 90, I’m quite confident that my odor hasn’t been too pleasant at the end of each trek.

So why has this made me happy?  Because I have felt very blessed just to be able to do the hiking.  As I have written before, I have a condition called Hypermobility Syndrome, which makes living my life sometimes difficult.  With this syndrome, I do not have collagen in my body, which is what holds a body together.  As a result, my health is a roller coaster ride at times with good days and bad days…very painful days and then less painful days…but every day has pain.

The weeks leading up to our vacation were filled with pain that was unbearable at times.  There were days when it took every ounce of motivation I could muster to get out of bed.  This led to times where I was very discouraged and struggled to keep a positive attitude.  I know we are called to have joy even in the dark valleys…but if I’m honest…I doubt others saw too much joy in me during that time.  I was frustrated because I felt I was doing everything that was humanly possible to keep my health at its best…but the pain continued.  There was one night especially when the pain was so severe as I laid in bed, that I just wanted to give up.  I felt like I didn’t have an ounce of strength left to bear the amount of pain I was enduring at that time.

The amazing thing to me is that God never leaves me alone in the valleys.  He never gives up on me…never turns His back on me.  He is ever present…always there to minister to me when the dark clouds surround me.  During those days He laid it on the heart of a dear friend to check on me often just to see how I was doing.  Another dear friend, who happens to also be my chiropractor, not only worked on me numerous times…but also prayed for me seeking wisdom from above to know how best to treat me.  My son-in-law, who is a doctor, took time out of his busy schedule to check me over and recommended exercises to do that have helped ease some of the pain.  Last, but definitely not least, my husband was my rock during this time (as he has been so many times throughout our marriage)…praying for me and doing everything possible to lessen my pain.  These dear ones were “Jesus with skin on” for me so that I would be reminded that I don’t walk this road alone.

So to stink at the end of our hikes this past week was such a pleasant odor to experience.  The sweat I felt on my skin was like showers of blessings on my life.  These things represented God’s power working in me, which allowed me the strength to enjoy God’s creation up close and personal.  Each step on the trails was a gift…a gift I never want to take for granted.

I don’t know what you are facing today.  I’m confident that many of you are going through much harder days than I will ever see.  You may also be experiencing physical pain that has propelled you into a dark valley.  Maybe it isn’t physical pain, but mental or emotional pain that has its grip on you and you are ready to give up.  Possibly Satan is attacking you and you feel like you are in a spiritual battle.  I want you to know that God is able to get you through today.  He will never leave you alone in your valley…He will never give up on you…never turn His back on you.  He is ever present…always there to minister to you when the dark clouds surround you. 

I am praying that today, God will send a “Jesus with skin on” person to encourage you.  I am praying that you will feel God’s firm grip on your life to empower you and give you the strength to get through this very moment.  And I am praying that in the days ahead, you might feel His showers of blessings poured over you in a tangible way that will allow you to feel His deep love for you.  Who knows…it may even come in the form of sweat and stink…so be watching…we do serve a God with a sense of humor!



No comments:

Post a Comment