Monday, February 20, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Forever Friends

I had the privilege last fall to officiate at the wedding of two dear friends of mine, Shari & Bill.  A couple of weeks ago, Shari told me that she had a picture of the two of us from the wedding and wondered if I would like a copy.  I gave her an immediate, “Yes”!

This week she handed me the picture I have included in this post.  On the frame are the words, “Friends Forever – Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.”  I was so blessed by this gift.

This got me thinking about friendship and what role it plays in my life.  I have different kinds of friends in my life.  I have people that I know that I rarely see, but I would still introduce them to you as my friend.  I have other people in my life that I see on a much more regular basis, maybe at church every Sunday or throughout the week that I would also consider to be my friends.  All of these individuals have a special place in my life and I feel blessed to know them.

But if I honestly look at my relationship with most of these people, I really don’t know them very well.  I don’t know all of their likes and dislikes, what their favorite foods are, what their favorite hobby is or even what colors they like best.  I don’t have much of a clue as to what the desires of their heart are or what concerns keep them awake at night.  If you asked me questions about them, I’m afraid I probably wouldn’t know very many of the answers.  The truth is that I know them, but I really don’t know them.

However, there are a few people in my life, besides my family, that I would also introduce to you as my friend and I think I would do quite well if you inquired about them.  The reason is that I do really know them.  I’ve spent considerable time with them, through the good and through the bad, and I’ve learned what makes them tick.  They have allowed me to be a part of their life on a much deeper level and in turn, I have allowed them to be a part of mine.

Having this kind of relationship with these close friends didn’t happen overnight.  It took quality time as well as quantity time with them as they got to know me better and I got to know them better.  It sometimes amazes me that these close friends still love me even after they know me with all my faults and failures.  They accept me for who I am and they are such a wonderful support system in the good times and in the bad.

I have another friend who knows absolutely everything about me.  He knows my every thought and every action and yes, He still loves me too.  This friend of mine was also Abraham’s friend.  James 2:23 tells us that Abraham was called God’s friend.  In 2 Chronicles 20:7 we read “O our God, did you not drive out those who lived in this land when your people Israel arrived? And did you not give this land forever to the descendants of your friend Abraham?”  Isaiah 41:8 says “But as for you, Israel my servant, Jacob my chosen one descended from Abraham my friend.”  What an honor to be called God’s friend!  What really amazes me is that the One who was Abraham’s friend, wants to be my friend too!

John 15:14-15 says “You are my friends if you do what I command.   I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.”

How do we become friends with the One who created us?  Abraham was God’s friend because he was willing to demonstrate his faith in God.  He was willing to be obedient; and we are told to do the same.  We need to be willing to do what He asks us to do and follow Him without hesitation.  But it will be very difficult to do this, unless we intimately know Him.  To have a close friendship with Him and know more about Him and even look more like Him, we have to be willing to spend time with Him.  We need to realize that it will take quality time as well as quantity time with Him for us to mirror His image.  We can’t just put His Word, the Bible, on our nightstand and expect that it will somehow infiltrate our mind while we sleep.  We need to be willing to read it, digest it, and then let Him speak to us so that we can learn His ways.  

Our world today has many lonely people in it…and you may be one of them.  If you are, I recommend that you find a church family to worship with and one with whom you can do life.  Getting to know other brothers and sisters in Christ will eventually bless you with some close friends who will support you in the good times and the bad.

Most importantly, I want to strongly urge you to make sure you are spending quality and quantity time with the One who created you.  God knows everything about you and loves you right where you are today.  He wants to be not only your heavenly Father…but He also wants to be your very best friend.  But that can only happen if you are willing to get to know everything about Him.  Read the Bible every day and if you don’t know where to begin, just start by reading one chapter in Proverbs, the one that corresponds with today’s date.  So since today is the 20th, begin by reading the 20th chapter of Proverbs.  There are 31 chapters in this book so you will have one for every day of the month! 

If you are looking for a forever friend…remember that you will need to take action.   You can’t just sit and wait for the relationship to just “happen”.  Get involved…reach out to others…be a good friend to someone else and above all, begin to know God in a deep and personal way.  I can promise you that He will never leave you or disappoint you and He loves you more than you can imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment