Monday, March 27, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Life Is Short

My memory sure isn’t what it used to be.  I sometimes wonder if it is because I’m getting older…or if my brain is just trying to go in too many different directions.  Regardless…I make lots of lists and I love post-it notes to make sure I do my best to stay on top of things.

I am also always on the lookout for anything new that I can use to help me remember what I might easily forget.  Some weeks ago I came across a picture on the Internet of a wall hanging that was just what I needed to keep our family birthdates and anniversaries in my eyeshot and in the forefront of my mind.  So I immediately contacted New Creation Primitives, because I knew, with their talent, they could make this for me.  And as you can see by my picture…they did and I love it!  I am now able to see, at a glance, who has a birthday and/or anniversary in each month.  I have it hanging on the wall in our dining room and every time I walk by it…it makes me smile.

It not only makes me smile because I love it so; it also makes me smile because it reminds me how blessed I am by my family.  God has been so good to give me a family whom I dearly love.  Spending time with them is one of my most favorite things to do and I cherish each moment.  As our family grows, it doesn’t mean that there is less love to go around…it just means that our love grows and expands to a higher level as we welcome each new addition. 
  
Almost sounds like a Norman Rockwell painting, doesn’t it?  Well, I’ll be honest; our life is not a painting.  An artist usually takes great pains to make their canvas comes alive with a perfect scene where there isn’t anything shown that isn’t supposed to be there.  The brush strokes are carefully applied to make everything look pristine and flawless.  But that isn’t reality.  The members of my family aren’t perfect…none of us are no matter what “scene” we find ourselves in.  We all have our flaws and we don’t always see eye-to-eye, but our love for each other triumphs any differences that we might have.

It breaks my heart when I meet someone and they tell me that they haven’t talked to a family member in years.  When I ask why…their response is often that something happened in their past that shoved a wedge between them and their relative.  Years have gone by and neither side has made the first step towards reconciliation.  Pride reels its ugly head and instead of forgiving and moving on…both sides have dug in their heels and refused to make amends.

I was reading 1 John 4:20-21 the other day in The Message:  If anyone boasts, “I love God,” and goes right on hating his brother or sister, thinking nothing of it, he is a liar. If he won’t love the person he can see, how can he love the God he can’t see? The command we have from Christ is blunt: Loving God includes loving people. You’ve got to love both.  For some reason, I think we often read these verses and think that it pertains to just those outside our family…not inside our family.  But it refers to both.  And unfortunately, I think there are many professing Christians sitting in the pews on Sunday mornings who can love their neighbor…but can’t love those whom God has placed in their own family.

I sat in the cancer center last Friday with my mother-in-law and I saw it happen once again.  A couple came out from seeing the doctor and both of them showed signs on their face that their news had not been good.  Then there was a 35-year-old man in the treatment area who talked about how much he and his wife want to start a family…but life has thrown them an unexpected curve.  Life is short, my friends, and none of us know what event or diagnosis we might experience or receive today.  If there is reconciliation that needs to happen in your family…why not be the one to extend your hand to them today.  If you wait…it might be too late and living with regrets is such a waste of your time and energy. 

By the way…if you are looking for just the right wall hanging for your home…I highly recommend New Creation Primitives.  You can see more of their work and get their contact information on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/newcreationprimitives/.  Give them your idea and they will bring it to life.  Oh, and don’t forget to tell them that LuAnn sent you!



No comments:

Post a Comment