Monday, October 16, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Choosing Peace Part I

Have you ever heard the expression, the “tyranny of the urgent”?  It came from a little booklet written in 1967 by Charles Hummel and it quickly became a classic.  He argued that we often have a choice between things that are urgent and things that are important – and far too often, the urgent wins.  In other words, we often spend our days doing whatever is yelling at us the loudest, even if those things aren’t what are most important.  We run ourselves ragged day after day with our stomachs tied in knots, just trying to silence the noise. 

As a result, we often end our day frustrated, exhausted and discouraged. Our nerves are on edge and we lash out at those whom we love the most.  And peace?  Well, unfortunately many of us haven’t felt peace in a very long time or even thought it was possible, because most people around us are absorbed in the same rat race that we are.

I knew this had become the “normal” in our society, but it has become much more evident to me since my life came to a screeching halt three weeks ago today when I had my surgery.  Since then I haven’t been able to do much of anything, so it has allowed me to pay more attention to the world around me.  One simple way to do this has been to take some time to read posts on Facebook, to see the insane schedules that some attempt to keep week after week.  Flip on the news and it takes just about a nanosecond to be reminded of the chaotic world we live in with people going every which way, trying to keep their head above water.

During this time, I don’t think it was a coincidence that I came across the book, Calming The Storm Within: How to Find Peace In This Chaotic World by Jim Lange.  Mr. Lange caught my attention when he stated, “Chaos is a part of life that cannot be avoided.  We need to actually embrace the chaos because God allows it for our own good.”   He followed this with this prayer, “Heavenly Father, thank You for loving me so much that You would allow chaos and trouble in my life.  You know what I need and You know that staying in my comfort zone is not good for me.  Help me to remember this the next time I face chaos and to be thankful in the midst of the storm.  Help me to see it from Your vantage point so that I can choose peace in the midst of it and I can be looking for You during the turmoil.  Amen.”

Did you catch what it said in this prayer?  This prayer asks our Lord to help us see the chaos from His vantage point so that we can choose peace.  Whether our schedule is way over-packed or fairly empty because we are suddenly forced to go through a long time of recovery, we can choose to have peace. 

In the next few weeks, I plan to share with you some of the highlights that I am learning from this book, along with what the Lord is teaching me on this subject, as I am required to lay low.  I know I have a lot to learn about this and hopefully what I share will also be of help to you.

I also want to remind you that I do have my new 90-day devotional, Ask Me About My Jesus, in my possession!  The official release of my book won’t be for a few more weeks, so I’ve decided to have a “God’s Timing is Perfect” 10% off sale + free shipping until October 31st!  It is currently available through Amazon in paperback for the retail price of $15.95, and in a few weeks it will be available in e-book format.  But this sale will just pertain to the books that I have in my possession.

If you would like an autographed copy of my book now, please e-mail me at luannfulton@gmail.com.   Price for each book will be $15.35 ($14.35 + $1.00 tax).   I will need to know your address and how many books you would like.  You may pay by cash, check or PayPal.

If you want to get some of your Christmas shopping out of the way, this book would make a great gift!  I will even autograph your books to specific people if you would like.

As we begin a new week, let’s begin praying that the Lord will begin to let us see the chaos around us from His vantage point so that we can begin to choose peace.  Remember, the world is watching us to see how we react to life’s pressures and maybe, just maybe, if they see us choosing peace, they will want to hear about our Jesus!

And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts.
For as members of one body you are called to live in peace.
And always be thankful.”

Colossians 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment