Monday, October 30, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Choosing Peace Part III

We are in our third week of looking at having peace no matter what chaos is swirling around us.  I began thinking about this in a more in depth manner as I read the book, Calming The Storm Within: How to Find Peace In This Chaotic World by Jim Lange.  This book spoke to me in so many ways, and I hope something I share with you from it will help your search to have peace no matter what chaos is swirling around you.

The first week we learned from Mr. Lange’s statement, “Chaos is a part of life that cannot be avoided.  We need to actually embrace the chaos because God allows it for our own good.”  Last week we looked at his words, “Any lack of peace that I experience is simply because I am focusing on my issues and me rather than on Jesus.”

This week I want to look at what often keeps us from embracing the chaos and focusing on Jesus.  From what I have observed, many people lack peace because of one central question that they keep asking as they are experiencing hard times.  Over and over again, many keep asking, “Why is this happening to me?”  Of course the question becomes personalized depending on the current type of turmoil.  “Why am I having to suffer physically?”  Why am I stuck in this lousy job, where no one recognizes my potential?”  “Why do I have a spouse and/or child who doesn’t love me the way I think I should be loved?”  And I could go on and on.

Mr Lange addressed this in his book.  He said he has also observed this in others who have faced major difficulties in their lives.  He said that some of them acted as if their lives were over.  They fretted and complained about the horrible hand that was dealt to them.  In other words, they were super focused on what was happening TO them, which kept them stuck in the muck and mire.

He went on to say that he had also observed some who seemed to be blessed in the midst of their difficult circumstances.  With these people, their tough situations proved to be the catalyst for something great in their lives.  He said, “The one thing in common with each of the people in this group was that, at some point along the way, their thinking changed.  They shifted from thoughts of Why is the happening TO me? To What is God doing FOR me?  They each recognized that God was working on their behalf, even though in the natural it didn’t seem like it at all.  They became dead to themselves in their circumstances.  Some of these, probably the more spiritually mature, went to this place quickly in the midst of their trial.  Others may have taken a bit longer.  But, they each got there and God was able to turn their lemons into lemonade.”

I think many of us would have a lot more peace if instead of immediately asking, Why me? We would ask Why NOT me?  Why in the world should we be free of trials and chaos in our lives?  We read in John 16:33, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart, because I have over come the world.”  Christ told us that we would have difficult situations in our lives but He also told us that we should have peace.  Why?  Because He is greater than anything this world can throw at us!

So instead of fretting, fuming, whining and feeling sorry for ourselves, what if we looked at our current situation and thanked the Lord for it.  What if we realized that He has us in our current surroundings for a reason and that through our chaos, He will be able to change us and mold us to look more like Him.  What if we asked Him to reveal what He is trying to teach us and then ask Him to help us act appropriately to His plan.  I’m guessing if we did this, we just might have more peace.

Today marks five weeks since my surgery and I’m still at home recovering.  I’m stronger than I was after surgery, but I still have a long way to go.  To be honest, I am a work in progress in thanking the Lord for my current circumstances.  Some days I feel like I’m pretty successful at it and others days I’ve failed miserably.  But He has been showing me these past few days the positives of this time at home and He has been speaking to me in gentle whispers.  I am feeling His presence like I haven’t felt in a very long time.  Maybe, just maybe, this time of stillness has been so that I could feel His breath in my ears and His Spirit in my soul.

Are you asking “Why me?” today?  I want to urge you to change that question to “Why NOT me” and then try thanking the Lord for what you are experiencing.  Ask Him then to reveal to you His plan in gentle whispers.  I believe you will begin to feel peace as His presence is felt in a powerful way and His Spirit fills your soul.  Give it a try.  What do you have to lose?

By the way, I just want to remind you that my 10% off + free shipping sale of my 90 day devotional, Ask Me About My Jesus, ends tomorrow!  If you would like to take advantage of this sale and have an autographed copy sent to you, e-mail me at luannfulton@gmail.com and let me know your address and how many books you would like.  Many have been purchasing multiple books as Christmas gifts and I have even autographed each of their books to specific people.  Cost of the book is $15.35 ($14.35 + $1.00 tax) and payment can be made by cash, check or PayPal (please choose Friends & Family option).


As I’ve shared before, my prayer has been that this book will have an impact on eternity.  Time is of the essence, and it is time we let others know how much our Jesus means to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment