Monday, November 13, 2017

Monday Morning Memo: Choosing Peace Part V

As we wrap up our look into how we can choose to have peace even when chaos is all around us, I want to go back to one of the points I shared in our second week.   This point, along with all the others I have shared, came from Jim Lange’s book, Calming The Storm Within: How to Find Peace In This Chaotic World.  This book, along with two others, has been a part of the blessings I have received during my time of recovery.

In the second week, I shared Lange’s statement,

“Any lack of peace that I experience is simply because
I am focusing on my issues and me rather than on Jesus.”

This statement has continued to come to mind during these past weeks as I have asked myself over and over again where my focus is.  I have realized that when my focus is on me, the chaos around me can easily become blown out of proportion.  When my focus is on me, it’s way too easy for me to start whining and asking, “Why is this happening to me?”  When my focus is on me, I can easily become panicked about my situation and I begin to bring my Jesus down to my size instead of focusing on how big and powerful He is.

I am learning that when my focus is on Him, it is so much easier to feel His presence in my life.  When my focus in on Him, I realize that He is all-powerful and able to handle anything that life throws at me.  When my focus is on Him, it is easier to see the chaos around me as something positive…something that He can use to make me look more like Him.  And, I also believe that when my focus is on Jesus, I’m a nicer person to be around which will hopefully entice those with whom I come in contact, to want to know my Jesus.

Do I feel like I have this area of my life completely under control?  No, I don’t.  I still have a long way to go to be the person my Jesus wants me to be.  Just ask my husband, who has had to live with me, especially these past 7 weeks of recovery.  OK…maybe you shouldn’t ask him J These days and weeks have been hard…very hard.  And it has been easy for me to lose my focus and forget that Jesus is in control and that His timing and ways are perfect.  There have been days when I have become discouraged when my time table for being up and going strong has not lined up with His.  But the amazing truth is that my Jesus has been so faithful.  Even when I have been weak...He has been so strong every.single.day.

By the way, why is it that we often don’t want anyone else to know that we do have struggles at times?  Why is it that we want others to think that we have it all together and that we lead a perfect life?  Now don’t get me wrong…I don’t think we need to broadcast our every fault…but I think we need to be willing to let others know that we are a work in progress.  I believe we can make other peoples’ problems seem even worse to them when they compare what they are going through with our apparent “perfect” life.  And I think this even plays a role in some of the anger and violence that we are seeing played out in our communities.  Some, who are facing serious difficulties, finally break and take their frustrations out on others because they want them to suffer as much as they are.  None of us are perfect and as Christians, we need to be willing to be transparent with those around us, so that they can see where and to whom we turn when the chaos is swirling around us.

I saw this definition of peace and thought it summed it up well.  Having peace doesn’t mean there isn’t the world’s noise around us.  Having peace doesn’t mean we won’t ever be faced with a serious health issue.  Having peace doesn’t mean we won’t ever lose our job or have our spouse walk away.  Having peace doesn’t mean that we won’t have a child who makes the wrong decisions.  What it does mean is that even in the noise…even in the chaos…even in the heartbreak…we will still have calmness in our heart.  Calmness because our eyes are focused on our Jesus and we realize just how big He is.

John MacArthur said, “The more you focus on yourself, the more distracted you will be from the proper path.  The more you know Him and commune with Him, the more the Spirit will make you like Him.  The more you are like Him, the better you will understand His utter sufficiency for all of life’s difficulties.  And that is the only way to know real satisfaction.”  Do you want peace?  Get to know Jesus.  The more you know Him…the less you will want to take your eyes off of the One who can handle anything that life throws at you.

When besieged, I’m calm as a baby.
When all hell breaks loose, I’m collected and cool.
I’m asking God for one thing, only one thing:
To live with him in his house my whole life long.
I’ll contemplate his beauty; I’ll study at his feet.
That’s the only quiet, secure place in a noisy world,
The perfect getaway, far from the buzz of traffic.

Psalm 27:3-5 The Message


No comments:

Post a Comment