Monday, March 5, 2018

Monday Morning Memo: Miracle Prunes?

I don’t pay a lot of attention to commercials on television.  Normally, my mind is wandering during the breaks and even if I pay attention to what is on the screen, there is a good chance I couldn’t tell you afterwards what product they were pitching.  But the other evening I was listening and what I heard made me laugh.

You may have seen this commercial also.  There are two women sitting and a third woman joins them.  They tell this woman how good she looks and she says that she feels good and then pulls a bag of prunes out of her purse.  Now, I have nothing against prunes, but I can’t say I’ve ever had anyone pull them out of their purse as a reason for feeling good.  But who knew?  Maybe I’ve been missing out all these years!

Oh if only life was always that easy.  If only there was just one thing that I could keep in my purse or pocket that would solve all my problems.   Have a health issue?   Pull out the miracle product.  Have a marital problem?  Pull out the miracle product.  Have a problem at work with a boss or coworker?  Pull out the miracle product.  Ahhhh…just think how much easier life would be.

Of course, many people do resort to something that they believe is their miracle cure.  Drugs…alcohol…food…affairs…excessive sleep.  Anything that can at least temporarily “numb” us so we don’t have to face our problems.  Unfortunately though, those types of escapes don’t solve anything, in fact they usually make matters worse. 

While there isn’t a miracle cure to cover all of our problems, there is a miracle performing God who is just waiting for us to turn to Him.  I can’t imagine how much it must sadden Him to watch us resort to lots of other “crutches” to make it through each day.  He loved us so much that He sent His son to die for us, but yet we don’t trust Him enough to let Him handle our problems.  We fail to remember that God’s plan is perfect, even when it makes no sense to us.  He knows our tomorrow, so He knows what is perfect for us today to prepare us for what is on the horizon.

What or whom are you putting your trust in today?  I hope it is in the One who created you and loves you more than you can imagine.  God’s Word, the Bible, is filled with answers to life’s toughest problems so why not take time to read it today.  Trust me.  While prunes might make you feel better for the moment…putting your faith and trust in the Almighty God will help you feel better all the way into eternity!

“I pray that God, the source of hope,
will fill you completely with joy and peace
because you trust in him.
Then you will overflow with confident hope
through the power of the Holy Spirit.”
Romans 15:13


No comments:

Post a Comment