Monday, September 3, 2018

Monday Morning Memo: Our Legacy

Each day I receive an e-mail, which contains various quotes.  I usually skim through the quotes and many of them get deleted.  But there are those that speak to me and I often get my ideas for my devotionals based on something I have read from these e-mails.  I recently came across this quote on legacy and I haven’t been able to get it off my mind this past week.  I kept wondering how the Lord was going to use it in my life and little did I know it would come to life in the hills of Tennessee several days ago.

This story begins four years ago when we were vacationing in Sevierville, TN, and we found an amazing BBQ restaurant in what seemed like the “boonies”.  The food was outstanding and so we were so disappointed when we found out the business had closed the next time we were in the area.  Imagine our delight when I discovered a couple weeks ago that it had reopened and so we set our plans to eat there this past Thursday and then we returned on Friday to once again get our fill of the delicious food.

The establishment, Preacher’s Smokehouse, had a new owner but the food did not disappoint.  Neither did the fellowship.  On Thursday we sat next to a couple from Kansas who love the Lord and talked about the importance of living their lives as an example to those they meet.  Then on Friday, we had the opportunity to spend time with the owner, the preacher himself.  He shared how he works construction Monday – Wednesday to pay the bills,  then runs the restaurant Thursday – Saturday and then preaches right in the restaurant on Sunday.  He told us about the many meals he prepares each week to feed the families in their community that are struggling to make ends meet.  These parents have to work two jobs and live in some of the area motels. So he prepares food to make sure that they, along with their children, get a good hot meal three nights a week. There are no strings attached. The families don’t have to attend church to be fed.  He just wants them to know that there are people who love them and care about them.

We heard about the thousands of meals he prepared to feed those who were fighting the fires two years ago in the Gatlinburg area. He told us about how faithful God was during that time, as person after person came to him to donate propane, charcoal, meat, beans, etc.  Whatever was needed…God provided and the preacher’s face just lit up as he talked about the joy of serving others.

As we drove away, I knew that this quote on legacy had just been lived out right in front of me.  This preacher understands that every day his choices will write his legacy.  It was obvious that many of the things that others hold tightly, just aren’t important to him.  I believe he realizes that when the Lord calls him home, people won’t remember him for how much is in his bank account or what degrees are or aren’t hanging on his wall.  They will remember him because of his love and devotion to his Jesus, which is obviously what fuels him each and every day.

It was a good reminder that the same is true for me. It won’t matter what I own, what degrees I have, how many blog posts or books I’ve written…what will matter in the end is whether I have chosen to serve my Jesus each and every day. Serving Him is what will make the difference on the legacy that I leave behind.  My prayer is that the “pen” that I hold will be used to share the love of Jesus to those I come in contact with, with no strings attached.  Some may never see my Jesus…if they don’t first see Him in me.


By the way, if you are ever in the Sevierville area…I highly recommend that you make the drive to see the preacher and his sweet wife and eat some of their goodies.  I guarantee that you won’t be disappointed! 


“Wherever your treasure is, 
there the desires of your heart 
will also be.”
Matthew 6:21

No comments:

Post a Comment