Monday, December 10, 2018

Monday Morning Memo: Are We Willing?

Dan and I just returned from working at the Operation Christmas Child processing center in Boone, North Carolina.  This is a trip that we look forward to each year and it always seems like the hours just fly by and before we know it…we are heading back home.

But this year our trip was extended.  Instead of heading home, our group went to Charlotte, NC and had the privilege of spending time at the Billy Graham Library and then we worked for a day at the Operation Christmas Child processing center in Charlotte, which is three times the size of the Boone facility.

The time spent at the library was amazing. While I assumed ahead of time that I would enjoy it, I never dreamed it would leave such an impression on me. Billy Graham was such an incredible follower of Christ and had an impact on eternity like no other.  But as I walked through the rooms, I just kept having the same thought go through my mind, which was, He had an impact, because he was willing.  It wasn’t because he was an expert on the Bible; he said his wife was much more knowledgeable on the Scriptures.  He didn’t “inherit” a large congregation to speak to from his father; his dad was a dairy farmer.  The reason that God was able to use Billy Graham in such a powerful way to impact eternity was because he was willing.  He was willing to allow God to interrupt his life in whatever way He deemed best.

I believe this thought was first planted in my mind though, the day before we went to the library.  We were processing shoe boxes and we came across box after box that had the same contents.  In each one, there was, among other things, a handmade blanket and a doll.  Each box also had a letter in it, which explained who had sent these items.  The letter read:

I am 98 years old.  I love to use my hands to make blankets to keep children like you warm at night.  I hope that the blanket I am 
sending in this shoebox will make you feel comfortable and loved.  
I know that Jesus loves you and died to forgive your sins.  
I hope you will believe in him the way I do.

The letter also included a picture of the creator of the blanket…his address…and his email address in case the child would want to contact him.  Yes, you read that right.  The tailor of the blankets was a 98-year-old man.

I was so touched as I looked at the picture of this kind looking gentleman with a large stack of blankets he had made.  He created these beautiful covers to first meet the needs of children (to keep them warm), and then to make sure and tell them about his Jesus.  You see, just like Billy Graham, God is able to use this wonderful elderly man in a powerful way to impact eternity because he is willing.

It is mind-blowing to realize what God can do, if we are willing.  I can’t even begin to fathom what all could be accomplished for His glory, if you and I were willing to be interrupted in whatever way God deemed best.  Who knows…maybe He might allow us the privilege of impacting eternity like Billy Graham or this amazing 98-year-old man.  I’m asking God to give me the courage to be willing. Will you join me?

“So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he’ll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet.”
James 4:7-10 The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment