Monday, December 3, 2018

Monday Morning Memo: Just Too Busy

I shared with you a few weeks ago that I don’t have a specific decorating style in our home.  To add to that exciting information, decorating at holidays or at different seasons makes me feel a little ill.  It isn’t my gift, so as a result, I often just don’t do it.  I have friends who have the knack of beautifying their home every few months and I think that is wonderful…but it just isn’t happening at my house!

For Christmas this year, I made myself at least put up the tree and display my nativity sets.  I thoroughly enjoy everything once I have it all done…it’s just taking the time to do it because I can think of many other things that I would rather be doing than decorating.  Thankfully it is all complete now and I can just take in the beauty for the rest of the year.   

As I was looking at my tree a few days ago, I decided to research the origin of the Christmas tree (now see, that is much more fun than decorating!  I know I’m strange…so you don’t have to tell me that).  But I soon found out that there are many different theories as to how it began…some believing it began as a pagan tradition to others saying that Martin Luther was responsible for the origin of it.  Many different speculations…many different ideas…everyone believing their ideas are the “gospel” truth.

At that point, I decided that instead of adopting someone else’s thoughts on the Christmas tree…maybe I should come up with my own reason for it.  Maybe Jesus wants my Christmas tree to remind me of something every time I look at it. So that led me to checking out if and how trees were talked about in the Bible.

The word tree is listed quite often in Scripture, but when I read Matthew 12:33 I knew that was my answer.  “A tree is identified by its fruit. If a tree is good, its fruit will be good.  If a tree is bad, its fruit will be bad.” Hmmm…I wonder if others can identify me as a follower of Jesus by looking at the “fruit” I produce?

Our small group is studying Acts this year and we are only in the third chapter and I’m already getting my toes stepped on. In fact, they are feeling a little bruised.  Last week we looked at the lame man who was a beggar at the temple gate and was healed by Peter.  Through this story, I was challenged to really begin to look in the eyes of those with whom I come in contact.  Am I willing to really look at them…to show them that I care…to hurt with them, laugh with them and even cry with them?  Max Lucado said in his book Outlive Your Life: “Let’s be the people who stop at the gate.  Let’s look at the hurting until we hurt with them.  No hurrying past, turning away, or shifting of eyes. No pretending or glossing over.  Let’s look at the face until we see the person.”

If I’m honest, I don’t always want to look in the eyes of others.  I’ve been known to hurry past…turn away…hoping someone else will have the time to get involved since I’m just too busy.  Too busy to show someone that they are loved.  Too busy to find out others’ needs or hurts.  Too busy to let them see Jesus through me.  Too busy to produce good “fruit”.  Just too busy…

So, this year, I’ve decided that when I look at the beauty of my Christmas tree, I’m going to ask Jesus to work in me so that my “fruit” will show His beauty.  I want Him to slow me down so that I really begin to see the people He puts in my path. I want Him to work in me and through me so that others will see Him as a result of my “fruit”.  

I really don’t want others to think that I’m just too busy because I should never be too busy to be Jesus with skin on to those I meet.  May my life only produce fruit that is good…so that others will want to know Him because I took the time to know them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment